View Poll Results: clean wireframe with no detail or crappy wireframe with tris and ngons but looks good
The end result is all that matters 3 37.50%
I'll just keep my wire secret so no one knows it looks so crappy 0 0%
Keep it clean 4 50.00%
Ewww.. N-gons and tris?! 1 12.50%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 04-06-2006 , 05:42 PM
Subscriber

Whats more important

What do you think is more important on a Model..
A Crappy wireframe, full of tri's and ngons that looks good when rendered, and is still useable for animation with no problem..

or A really nice clean wireframe, that looks like crap when rendered, for some unusual reason...

Follow My Business
On The Web!
Or
On Facebook!
# 2 04-06-2006 , 05:51 PM
well, see, clean wireframe won't look like crap when rendered, that's the thing

Live the life you love, love the life you live
# 3 04-06-2006 , 07:23 PM
Subscriber
ohh..but it can, in the hands of the wrong person..
Crappy textures, Bad rendering settings...
Any number of things can kill a nice wireframe in the final result..

Follow My Business
On The Web!
Or
On Facebook!
# 4 04-06-2006 , 07:30 PM
but aren't we talking about the wireframe, and not anything else? cuz crappy textures can screw up a bad, good looking mesh too

Live the life you love, love the life you live
# 5 04-06-2006 , 10:30 PM
Subscriber
LOZ, on a hard surface model such as you DS9, a clean wire is really a no- brainer; not important. there are no deformations, 99% of the faces will alway remain perfectly planar.
again same for the texturing., simple planar projections should come out nice and clean.

user added image

# 6 05-06-2006 , 04:37 PM
would it actually be posible to model something like a head or a full character without at least a few tris. Im far from an expert but sometimes when i'm modeling or i look carefully at someone elses wireframe i can at least see a few imperfections. As for a car or something solid i think its easier to get all quads.

I guess though towards animation and tweaking towards the end a reaonably clean mesh would be easier to work with, although i would imagine that even people working with games and animation, that they still find problems with certain things.

Food 4 Thought: Does the universe end and if it does, whats behind the universe?