Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 26-04-2009 , 06:04 PM

Interior Lighting

Hey everyone at simply Maya.

I’ve been working on this interior design project. it doesn’t require any hardcore modeling just simple objects here and there but......

the problem i face is that playing with lighting for the interior. ive got the picture that im following for my lighting and I’ve got the one I’m doing. I’m trying to get the same type of lighting that is in the picture but i don’t seem to be able to getting the exact same one, please do help.

and yeah i wanna use only the normal maya render, so no raytracing or mental ray.

so the image that ive done is on the production quality.

Thanks
user added image

This is the reference image

Attached Images

Last edited by Lion`I; 26-04-2009 at 06:10 PM.
# 2 26-04-2009 , 06:05 PM
And this is the one ive made

Attached Thumbnails
# 3 26-04-2009 , 07:29 PM
Level 32 pachyderm
First thing i noticed was the lack of shadows
shadows should really help

# 4 26-04-2009 , 08:38 PM
yeah your right, its the shadow that im not able to get to making the scene with more shadow. and im not so sure how?

here is the lights that ive used for the scene

Attached Thumbnails
# 5 26-04-2009 , 09:56 PM
Subscriber
first thing.. get rid of that ambient light
i'm no expert on lights but it does nothing for your scene other than kill your shadows and make your scene look flat

its the shadow that im not able to get to making the scene with more shadow. and im not so sure how?

no matter how many times i read this i can't make sense of it user added image
can you clarify this?

in fact i'm not sure why you're not wanting to use raytracing... just switch the renderer to mental ray and TA-DA you're done, instant ray tracing
unless it's part of a challenge or something, i'm lead to believe you won't get anything that looks like the reference pic without raytracing (or the other render method laurie priest mentioned to me once before)

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D

Last edited by Chirone; 27-04-2009 at 10:24 AM.
# 6 26-04-2009 , 10:05 PM
For more realistic lighting read up on raytracing, final gather, global illumination to start with.

# 7 27-04-2009 , 09:24 AM
Good Job .... Just do the following and you will get your render better :

1- Try to do analysis for the reference image in the shadows. ( Hard shadows from the key lights and shadows of the fill lights.
2- use ambient occlusion pass and composite it with photoshop. ( by Multiply the pass with the beauty pass )
3- SHADING , you have to do shading and to modify reflections and specularity and diffuse in your shaders then open the raytracing tap in the maya software render or render with mental ray without FG or GI because it's an advanced techniques and you don't need to stuck with it now.

Don't Despair GO ON your are better than others.

You Deserve
# 8 27-04-2009 , 04:56 PM
Thanks for all your comments.

Chirone : yeah your right its a challenge, good guess. And i know its sucks not being able to use raytracing or any other renders besides normal Maya render.

And sorry for the confusion with that sentence i said, what i meant is that, no matter how hard i try playing with the lighting i haven’t been able to getting the exact shadows in my scene. :shakehead:

DJbLAZER: sorry mate i can't use any of the other types of render besides the normal Maya render, I’m in a mini challenge

zico_samagoria : thanks for the tips mate, it’s really useful information you got there for me. user added image But sadly i can't use any of the renders besides normal Maya render.

It seems like without using raytracing or any other type of render i wont be able to get wat i want huh :headbang:

Well no worries i will try getting rid of the ambient light, like Chirone said, and see wat happens.

Thanks all
user added image

Last edited by Lion`I; 27-04-2009 at 04:58 PM.
# 9 27-04-2009 , 07:53 PM
Maniacal boy king of Babylon
What i don't understand is why you are making an image based on another render(and please don't say it's reall, it's to clean).
Don't you have an original image of the room?
If not i wouldn't even bother starting it, because you will make an interpretation of another interpretation and that will never look right.

And i agree with the others you have to read up on lighting, camera's and rendersettings a bit.

Also start with smaller objects not an entire room, try a pair of scissors ,a cola can etc.

good luckuser added image

# 10 28-04-2009 , 11:32 AM
yeah its a 3D picture that im trying to follow.

i had choices of a few pictures so this one seemed easy and i took it. but your right mastone about making an interpretation of that ref image.

oh well a challenge is a challenge but i just got the news that i can use raytracing, so i'll be showing you all the new render

thanks for all your help

:attn:

# 11 03-05-2009 , 11:06 AM
looks very good

IMO the bed looks very boxy, try to bevel the adges it might look a better

and is it nCloth or just a texture?

but overall nice work!

# 12 03-05-2009 , 08:21 PM
Super Moderator
That's the thing, I don't get this challenge, I get the whole show what you know by replicating this or that, what I don't understand is a lighting challenge constricting the challengers to using a renderer that isn't even capable of using the techniques that were seemingly utilized in the original image, I see GI, IES profiles etc (unless that image was rendered with the Maya software renderer which I highly doubt) I get that its a lighting/rendering exercise but it doesn't seem practical for an interior shot.

Now that you can use raytracing, I'm sure you can get a much better image but you'll have to do a fair share of light linking, maybe plug ramps into the light intensities to fake light profiles, messing around with the fall off and shadow softness. All that aside, you may have to composite a little bit too. Oh yah and watch out for those hot spots as I can see the vase looks a little burned out.

- Genny
# 13 05-05-2009 , 01:16 AM
cri8bat: your right the bed does look boxy, well i wanted to use Ncloth but the problem is, i don’t know how to do it using maya 8, any idea how?

GecT: to be honest with you i was confused as well with the challenge when i was told to not use raytracying or mental ray. so as i told the ppl that i can't get what you need without using raytracying atleast, so they accepted to letting us use raytracying.

Well at the moment im just reading up on lighting, trying to understand how to get wat i really want.

But i have one question thats if anyone could help me out with it.

if u look at the ref image, do you see the paintings on the right hand side, well there are those spot lights pointed at the painting right, well there is glow around the spot light that i don’t know how to get, ive been trying to get it and its driving me crazy any idea how?

Thanks user added image

# 14 05-05-2009 , 08:16 AM
you can do it by two ways :

1- By using a soft white brush in photoshop and low down it's opacity and paint on the spot lights.

2-You can use a sphere around the spotlight and give it a white color then go to it's shader --> Effects --> Glow then give it a littile bit higher intensity as 0.2 then check the hide source button.

i think one of those will give you the effect you need.

Cheers user added image

You Deserve
# 15 05-05-2009 , 12:21 PM

Originally posted by Lion`I
cri8bat: your right the bed does look boxy, well i wanted to use Ncloth but the problem is, i don’t know how to do it using maya 8, any idea how?

to make it less boxy you can try yo bevel the adges.

about nCloth. I use Maya 2008 and to do that you have to create a polygon plane with alot of subdivision and then to go nCloth (with the place selected) and create nCloth.

then select the bed and set as passive nCloth.

then just play the animation and should get a prety realistic looking cloth, if not just adgest some of the paremeters such as stifness, thikness, etc.

hope this helps

you can also check this youtube tuturial:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnGGWXb6SvQ