Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 05-07-2003 , 06:57 AM

July challenge - karen - noobie

hello y'all - this is my first time entering - found this website a few weeks ago (a little too late to enter the june challenge - loved all the entries)...so here goes:

I finally narrowed down my idea to a buffalo type creature - I found a picture of a white horse with blue eyes and liked the contrast - so, may try to do something like that. I am going to work on some sort of saddle to go on it...

here is an initial sketch

Attached Images
# 2 05-07-2003 , 09:25 AM
Kevin
welcome karen to sm and Im looking forward to your entry user added image

# 3 05-07-2003 , 08:00 PM
just getting started...really rough right now!

Attached Images
# 4 05-07-2003 , 08:12 PM
Subscriber
Hi Karen,

looking great... user added image

is it CPS you are using?

btw. are you working on both halfs, or have you done it so, you only have to work on one site and the other automatic updates itself?

regards

Strarup

------------------------------------------------
Alex V. U. Strarup

One mistake can ruin it all...
# 5 05-07-2003 , 08:51 PM
Hi - it's all one piece - cps. I just started pulling, extruding and splitting rather than modeling half...I always have problems when I try to do that...we'll see what happens!

# 6 05-07-2003 , 09:42 PM
Subscriber
oki doki... user added image

cps is a great tool... user added image

btw. if you want some extra poly modelling tools I will suggets you to get MJ Poly Tools, if you don't have it allready... with it you can e.g. make a edgeloop... user added image
https://www.maya3d.dk/Scripts/MJPolyTools/

what kind of problems are you getting when you only work on one half of the object?

if you want a method to only do the one half, there is a little description about it here... -->
https://forums.simplymaya.com/showthr...2087#post52087

btw. is the buffer going to get hair/fur?

regards

Strarup

------------------------------------------------
Alex V. U. Strarup

One mistake can ruin it all...
# 7 05-07-2003 , 10:31 PM
Welcome to SM, Karen!

As per your creature, it´s looking quite good I´d say. Specially the fact that the model actually looks like the concept.
I´ll be keeping a close eye on this one too.
Cheers, user added image

# 8 06-07-2003 , 12:20 AM
Subscriber
Hey there Karen- Welcome to the best site on the web!(google is good toouser added image) Nice sketch and good start too.

# 9 06-07-2003 , 05:40 AM
thanks for the advice stararup...the problems i usually run in to when i try to do half is not making it look like 2 halves (seam problems and all...) - and i feel like modeling the whole things is more natural ('cause no 2 sides are identical)...i initially started thinking about what creature to do based on the fact that i wanted to experiment with fur...so, hopefullly this guy will have some! i did some tests with a poly smoothed cube ...painting hair direction, length, etc...cool stuff

# 10 14-07-2003 , 06:28 AM
alright y'all...I finally got some time to work on this...here is some progress...btw - he is now subDs (decided to give it a try)

Attached Images
# 11 14-07-2003 , 02:37 PM
That is friggin awesome. I see you know what you are doing unlike me. I'm frightened now......user added image......Hehe. Nice job so far. The head looks a lot like a dog with a brain tumor from my point of view, could you give us some different shots???

It's Dr. Know, Not Darknow
# 12 14-07-2003 , 08:02 PM
lol...dog with a brain tumor...that's funny...I've got a lot of work to do...and, hopefully I will get around to adding fur, wich should help out a lot. I'll post another angle soon!

# 13 14-07-2003 , 08:05 PM
Subscriber
Looking good user added image

# 14 17-07-2003 , 06:12 AM
a wee bit of progress...

Attached Images
# 15 17-07-2003 , 06:17 AM
Wow........Mad Cow disease. I love that. Very nice. The horns will look great when textured.

It's Dr. Know, Not Darknow