Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 27-01-2006 , 12:16 AM

human head

ok we could do anything we want at school to get a study point.. so im going try and learn modelling..

Im making humand head perhaps entire body not sure yet :p

user added image

user added image

# 2 27-01-2006 , 12:30 AM
nice beginning.i like the mouth.keep it up.

# 3 27-01-2006 , 01:19 AM
dude! i wish i had a nose like that!, but, you havent gotten to it yet, so far its good!

Environment Artist @ Plastic Piranha
www.joopson.com
# 4 27-01-2006 , 10:20 AM
Subscriber
The mouth and chin look really good, but I think you need some more work on the jaw where it goes up to the ear, and obviously, the nose and eye area needs more work user added image

Could you show a pic with both sides of the head? It makes it a bit easier to see how things are turning out imo...

Liter is French for 'Gimme some ****ing cola before I break vous ****ing lips!"
# 5 27-01-2006 , 05:06 PM
yup haven't done any tweaking to the jaw yet.. also there is not yet enough data for it ^_^

user added image

Also see now i have duplicated it that the mouth is to wide.. and the chin looks weird? and the nose still needs some tweaking user added image

# 6 27-01-2006 , 06:36 PM
Subscriber
good start i remeber my first head it was crap. urs has come out nice
just tweak the width of it so it is more proportional and not as wide

Now at SMU doing BSc 3D Computer Animation so its hard to get on here
My wire render tut https://forum.simplymaya.com/showthre...threadid=20973
# 7 04-02-2006 , 05:35 PM
small update think im going to clean up a bit.. try to get ears a bit better and proportions and then into z-brush user added image

user added image

# 8 05-02-2006 , 07:29 AM
ah good ol' zbrush

looking better now, looking forward to the future brush work user added image

# 9 18-02-2006 , 09:05 PM
well finally had some time to do something again.. vacation w00t user added image so hopefully i can finish him finally user added image And receive my studypoint lol..

Only some more texturing.. gonna try do more wrinkles, ears bit better and lips bit better.. and then gonna give a shot at texturing.. :bow:

*edit And some wires..

user added image

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by pixelsoul; 19-02-2006 at 02:45 PM.
# 10 19-02-2006 , 04:59 PM
Looking good pixelsoul, though the head is a little square. I think you need to widen the head at the temples, just above the ears, or you could try pushing the ears into the head a little - they sit just behind the zygomatic bone, which forms the area below the eye. Hope this helps - your model is looking really cool - i especially like the transition from the neck to the jaw.

# 11 19-02-2006 , 08:32 PM
user added image thanks for the critique.. i don't know the bones but i think you mean the area on the side of the eye sort o say.. i have tried some more detailling.. some parts i am really unhappy still though like wrinkles around eyes and such user added image

user added image

# 12 19-02-2006 , 11:18 PM
man dont worry so much about Z-brush.
At this early stage I suggest you to forget abou it.
Insted you should spend more time getting head shape more natural.
It still looks flat, chin needs more shape....

Get the shape right in maya then in the very last stage use Z-brush or some 2D package to get details.

Study head shape a bit...

So do as much as you can in Maya then move on to Z-brush.
before you learn the easy way, learn the hard way.

# 13 19-02-2006 , 11:49 PM
The mouth needs lot of work, especially the corners.

# 14 20-02-2006 , 02:19 PM
Thanks for the comments, but what part looks to flat is it the part of the chin and cheecks?

Don't know if I agree to doing all the hard stuff in maya.. as the more geometry there is the harder the harder it gets to adjust in z-brush.. When I look at the dvd from Zack Petroc he uses a very very low res mesh as you have more felixbility to sculpt it in z-brush... I did notice btw how important it is to have correct edge loops. Especially with z-spheres i think they are impossible to get right :headbang: That is why I am trying to find a workflow that works ok for me.. Although I definitly need allot of practice.. especially with polygon modelling is still very hard for me user added image
Also plan in looking ways of retoplogizing in either maya like zack does on the dvd or with silo toplogy brush which also seems very cool :bow: and probably allot faster user added image

@
darijo203 Do you have any tips on what should be different on the mouth?

Also did a quick clay render.. i think the eye sockets are still to deep and the edge to the front head is to hard..

user added image

# 15 20-02-2006 , 04:26 PM
Yeah...mouths needs to be more rounded