Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 31-12-2004 , 10:19 PM
Subscriber

Looking for the best outcome

I've got a model made up from quite a few simple polys, GI Joe set up for lighting, and two questions!

1)
I was hoping to get some input from other users on how to get the very best picture quality when I render.

I was going to make it 1024*1024, but apart from that I'm not sure about other settings.

Maya Software (or) Hardware (or) Vector, Mental Ray?

What settings to use with the selected render type, shadows, anti aliasing etc.

(The thing I'm most intrested in) Is anything I can do to the model before render to make it any better - smooth, convert, add edges etc?

2) Leading on to....
From what I can see SubD's generally look smother and better than Poly's rendered. But when a Poly gets converted to a SubD (or proxy smooth is applied) and it doesnt have enough edges placed close together it loses its shape and becomes mostly rounded.

I have quite a few poly models that I think I want to convert to SubD's but they really havent got enough edges to make it keep its shape. Since at the time of modeling I gave no thought of converting to SubD it would be a big amount of work (adding edges on complicated multu extruded objects) to get it to work right.

Is there a quick way to make the Poly to SubD path, or am I missing something really obvious that I could do to a poly to make it look any better? (I assume yes, which is why I asked question 1!)

Cheers for any gems of wisdom, and Happy New Year!
user added image