Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 23-02-2009 , 12:19 AM
Subscriber

underground subway

I am finally done with my underground subway. I have the lighting and texturing exactly the way I want. Crits are welcome but I won't be making to many changes even with the crits on this scene. I have looked it over and over and I think it is finished. You can always add more to a scene but you have to stop at some point and I am at that point LoL!

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 23-02-2009 , 07:48 AM
Even though your not going to make and changes, there's a few things I would consider.

Define the textures more, there a bit ambiguous and your (well I'm) not too sure what they are made of.

The "feel" of the scene isn't really there, there's not wear and tear to it bash it up a bit.

Push yourself with it with some references of actual subway stations and it will be a nice scene.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 3 23-02-2009 , 08:54 AM
The Nurb Herd
I think you should bevel the edges and add some bump maps perhaps. I agree that it would benefit from some dirt and what not.... also an occlusion would give the seat more contact with the ground so it doesn't look stuck on.

# 4 23-02-2009 , 11:56 AM
And work on your rendering skills. That seems like a simple software render with no shadows, no global illumination no nothing...

# 5 23-02-2009 , 02:49 PM
yeah - as the others have said this needs a lot of work - the modeling just looks way too simple at the moment, the textures seem kind of slapped on and a lot of the textures look stretched - like the wall texture, the graffitti, the platform warning strip and the yellow texture at the top. there really needs to be some variation in the bump and spec....

but the main thing is that it just looks way too clean - like the pillar which is the same from top to bottom - there would be some noticable grime at the bottom of the pillar and likely some chipped paint and other marks around hand / shoulder level. it's details like this that makes it believable. and where's the trash!? anyone whose lived in NY or been on the subway or the underground or any metro system.... or city for that matter... will tell you that this just looks way to clean. lastly, if you're going to recreate a recognisable place it's good to try and keep it relatively close to scale - otherwise it's just going to look odd.

if you're done with this, then fine, move on. there's nothing worse than working on something that you're not interested in. but if, as you say, you have the 'lighting and textures exactly as you want' than i might suggest finding some decent reference materials and really studying them.

# 6 23-02-2009 , 11:26 PM
Subscriber
I see that everyone hates it, so I will re-texture it at another time.

# 7 24-02-2009 , 08:18 AM
Banksta, people don't hate it, there suggestions to make it better, and push your skills up. Thats the point of posting up WIP's and finished works so people can have a look and give advice for improvement.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 8 24-02-2009 , 03:50 PM
Super Moderator
You probably did take your time completing this, but I think you're rushing getting to know the fundamentals. Also, I'm not saying you simply must use Mental Ray but since the software renderer is kinda gimpy it'll require more effort to make a decent image.

And as Steve said, its not a matter of people hating it, the people who replied here could've very easily looked at it, shrugged and moved on without saying anything. The fact is, you got constructive criticism(precious precious stuff) and not a bunch of not so helpful and overly generous one liners like "OMG BBQ sauce wow amazing" or "Looks good!" or maybe even something spiteful (This one of the reasons why I like this site).

And I'm not trying to put you on blast but retexturing the scene won't relieve the modeling and lighting issues, and this goes back to my "getting to know the fundamentals" statement. I think every personal project should be at least 5% better than the previous so you know you're making some kind of headway. Looking at this image, I remember a couple of things you did some time ago and they're on the same level so I think you may be getting in your own way. Don't take that as me being a meanie, just being real. Push yourself. Three paragraphs are enough, I'm out lol :p

- Genny
# 9 24-02-2009 , 07:28 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by GecT

And as Steve said, its not a matter of people hating it, the people who replied here could've very easily looked at it, shrugged and moved on without saying anything.

Like me, after reading your first line I closed the tab down.

Simplymaya is the FRIENDLINESS place on the web when it comes to 3D and I feel lucky to be able to come here and the free help - THATS RIGHT FREE - I get from the great people. Shooting down this help before its givin to you is a crime - you`ll only hurt yourself.

I liked your scene but it needs work. Read the comments above and follow them and you`ll get a great looking image. If not try posting it up over at cgtalk and see what they have to say - they alot meaner over there.

# 10 04-03-2009 , 10:11 AM
Head of 3d Admedia
i think iread somewhere that you were avoiding using GI is that the case here...? anyway trust me this is the most frendliest forum i'Ve been on tbh i would always post stuff here first to see what everyone thinks then head over to cgtalk(they are abit harsh in there)so i'm sure everyone means well

# 11 04-03-2009 , 09:31 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by banksta
I see that everyone hates it, so I will re-texture it at another time.

i suspect you have self-esteem issues or were over exaggerating

i'm fairly certain if people hated it then they would just say that and not give any constructive criticism

as its been repeated many times before 'if you can't make a mistake you can't make anything'
thinking you're perfect works against you

i can't really give a comment on the scene since everyone else has done it well

but keep pushing yourself, you can only get better (ima stop now before i get to the point of lameness if i haven't reached it already)

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 12 04-03-2009 , 11:06 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by Chirone
i suspect you have self-esteem issues or were over exaggerating

i'm fairly certain if people hated it then they would just say that and not give any constructive criticism

as its been repeated many times before 'if you can't make a mistake you can't make anything'
thinking you're perfect works against you

i can't really give a comment on the scene since everyone else has done it well

but keep pushing yourself, you can only get better (ima stop now before i get to the point of lameness if i haven't reached it already)

I was over exaggerating. I know these are the friendliest people around believe me. I actually made a thread apologizing to the forum for my words, I was having a bad day from work when I made the comments and was a bit hasty.

# 13 04-03-2009 , 11:54 PM
Subscriber
yeah i know of that thread

sucks when you have a bad day and it reflects in unrelated things:headbang:

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D