Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 30-07-2003 , 12:29 PM

New to Simply Maya - First Project.

Hey guys, what a cool site!
Im learning Maya, my first project is a 1981 Delorean.

Heres what I got so far, Still alot of work to do.

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 30-07-2003 , 12:31 PM
Pic 2

Attached Images
# 3 30-07-2003 , 12:32 PM
Pic 3

Attached Thumbnails
# 4 30-07-2003 , 03:48 PM
cool you've got a good start there, I was just looking on CGtalk and somebody else has just done one of these as a modelling excercise.

A car is not necessarily the easiest first project to take on but good luck anyways

user added image

Alan

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 5 31-07-2003 , 02:47 AM
Heres a little update.

Attached Thumbnails
# 6 31-07-2003 , 12:37 PM
Just looked at the one on CGtalk, its amazing!

Kinda makes me feel like im wasting my time doing this when its already been done. And to such a high standard, far beyond my skill level.

# 7 31-07-2003 , 12:53 PM
Subscriber
It's hard to be original when doing vehicles, but you can always put your personal touch to it, and no two ever looks the same. I see it as practice, a means to get better, not as a challenge to do the best M1A1 or whatever on the net.

Björn 'santa' Fredriksson

<A href=https://www.bjornfredriksson.com>Site Online.</A>

Check out our 1on1on1 battle for the SandCrawlers.
# 8 31-07-2003 , 12:57 PM
Yours is the best anyway mate! It rocks!

I guess your right matey, lets see what this months challenge is and I may put it on hold for abit.

I have been having alot of problems with my blueprints too so thats got me quite annoyed with it.

# 9 31-07-2003 , 01:09 PM
I though the CGtalk one was good but it didnt look real, it looked like a high quality game model to me (which isnt a bad thing!) dont ever give up cause someone is better than you! my god if that were true then we'd all take one look at CG talk and go get a job application form for MacDonalds! user added image you need to realise that not all of CG is about modellers and I think that that fact sometimes gets a bit forgotten... Im not a modeller by any stretch of the imgination but I do other things quite well. Find your strengths.... user added image hell I sound like a wise old man... user added image
Alan

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 10 31-07-2003 , 01:13 PM
Right then, Im going to finish this model if it kills me lol

Thanks for the advice Alan, I think starting out with a car as my first project was abit to much. But I guess I wont know if it is to much until I have tryed as hard as I can.

Stay tuned for more progress.

# 11 01-08-2003 , 02:54 AM
Subscriber
very impressive for a first project. hell, impressive for a second, third, fourth...

I stay away from anything that looks realistic.. I find it way too hard to get the proportions close enough... thats why I tip my cap to you my brother!

keep up the good work.

# 12 01-08-2003 , 03:08 AM

Originally posted by howardporter
I find it way too hard to get the proportions close enough...

that's what blueprints are foruser added image and lots & lots & lots or reference photos to make up for things the BPs don't show you. it's too bad Maya can't just take the blueprints and make a car automatically. maybe i'll email Alias & ask about that:p

the car's looking pretty good, but i think the edges need to be sharpened up on the bottom edge all across the car, especially near the front. keep at ituser added image

Car-maker.
Check out my releases for RACER.
see the WWW button
# 13 04-08-2003 , 03:07 AM
No updates for abit, Im playing around with diffrent ways of doing the car.
Just getting us to Maya too.
Any C&C about car design would be great F50 (God of cars) :p