Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 91 12-04-2003 , 08:08 PM
Subscriber
Thanx )v( thats what i though its really neato with those low poly thangs. Mike has inspired me to stat learning low poly. Plus i started 3d graphics by editing quake 1 anyway!

Are tris better for low poly or is that just because its kinda supposed to be for a game? I noticed Mike's LowPoly Hillbilly (wich is really cool!) is also triangles.

"When you are born, you have a resposiblilty to program you're own mind, if you do not accept this responsiblilty, then the world will do it for you"
Aol Instant messenger: mrcoolbp2

Last edited by Vectorman; 12-04-2003 at 08:10 PM.
# 92 12-04-2003 , 08:30 PM
I believe I read once in the Maya´s documentation, that triangular faces ensure planarity. There´s no way, you can have a non-planar face, when modelling only three vertexes per face.

I believe game engines take this into account (or are designed to take this fact into account).

I´d love to have someone elaborate on this.

# 93 13-04-2003 , 12:04 AM
The Maya Mountain
Kevin, Raull - Thanks! user added image

Kurt - Cool, looking forward to it.

Vectorman - It adjusts the face's normals. It doesn't manipulate the vertices at all.

Games automatically triangulate models, however, if you do not do it yourself, it might not do it correctly. There's a big difference in these two shapes, but the only change is a flipped edge.

https://www.mtmckinley.net/SimplyMaya/tri.jpg

# 94 20-04-2003 , 08:49 PM
Mike this is fantastic work!! And for under a 1000 polys it's amazing! I just read through this thread real quick and I saw the pic at the start that you wanted to do and i though no way not in 1000 polys but....... user added image

I'll ask my mate who works for Climax Games to take a look at it see what he thinks but I think he'll agree that it's professional quality all the way!!!!

well done!

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 95 20-04-2003 , 10:12 PM
The Maya Mountain
Thanks, Pure_Morning. user added image I will finish this guy, but I've decided to concentrate on my ToonMike animation for now. user added image

Thanks again! Looking forward to what your friend at Climax thinks.