Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 01-04-2015 , 08:59 AM
Subscriber

Simply Maya House WIP

Hi all,

This is the house from Dave's tutorials that I have been following, just trying my hand at texturing so far its looking ok, still not happy with some of the textures but I guess that comes with experience.

Thanks Mythandra

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 01-04-2015 , 11:08 AM
SM Tea Boy
It's getting there, texturing is definitely one of those things that happens over time, truly it's like learning to paint.

BTW if you have not seen part 2 here one thing you should do is bake the roof down into a displacement map that way you'll be able to paint it with a traditional 2d paint program like photoshop. No one wants to UV that roof geo user added image

Also try the turtle render engine (it's built into maya) to bake out ambient occlusion maps these can be used as a basis for dirt maps in photoshop. Many tricks for texturing such as blending different photos together to get the look you want on say a dirty wall but at the end of the day like everything in 3D it just requires a ton of practice. Post production also goes a long way! A little DOF some colour grading slight fog even a simple contrast s curve. Don't try and do everything in Maya I see people trying to colour grade images in Maya all the time, rendering over and over again. Honestly it's like painting in the dark with your hands tied behind your back.

Thanks for posting up the house. Happy to see you taking it in your own direction.

From a readers' Q and A column in TV GUIDE: "If we get involved in a nuclear war, would the electromagnetic pulses from exploding bombs damage my videotapes?"
# 3 01-04-2015 , 11:12 AM
Super Moderator
That's coming along nicely. I think the techniques in the "Realistic Outdoor Environments" will help pull this together. A nice lawn, some background trees to fill it in.

- Genny
# 4 01-04-2015 , 11:18 AM
SM Tea Boy

From a readers' Q and A column in TV GUIDE: "If we get involved in a nuclear war, would the electromagnetic pulses from exploding bombs damage my videotapes?"
# 5 01-04-2015 , 04:15 PM
Subscriber
That's sick David! Very nicely done user added image

# 6 01-04-2015 , 06:40 PM
Subscriber
I fooled my friends that your render was a real picture, David.
They we're like "Oooh, who owns that house?!"

# 7 01-04-2015 , 09:50 PM
Super Moderator
David, exactly! Just lovely.

Lol SwatSnipe.

I think a subtle detail that helps to sell shots like these is the vantage point, its practical and believable, as if someone held a camera up and snapped a photo.

- Genny
# 8 12-04-2015 , 12:04 PM
Subscriber
I have done some more work on texturing various parts, this is what I have so far, need to watch the Vray lighting Tuts again as not really happy with the lighting though user added image

Cheers Myth

Attached Thumbnails
# 9 12-04-2015 , 08:56 PM
Subscriber
Looking nice so far, even the lighting - I would have the lighting hit the front, but thats me.

# 10 18-04-2015 , 10:42 AM
Subscriber
Hi All,

Finished modelling the garage and have done a little more work on the textures. I am finding getting the right lights setup very difficult, but that comes with experience I guess.

Cheers Myth

Attached Thumbnails

Custom built W10 Pro 64 bit, Hazwell Intel 5820, Asus X99 MOBO, 32 GB DDR4 Ram, EVGA nVidia GTX1080 Founders Edition, 512GB SSD Primary HDD, 16TB Storage, 27" Samsung 4k Display. Wacom 27QHD, Oculus Rift CV1
# 11 18-04-2015 , 11:00 AM
SM Tea Boy
Love the garage, I'm just doing the modeling of my version for part three when i'll cover lighting my advice is to keep going with the lighting and see what you can come up with. It takes some practice to get it right.

All the best
David

# 12 18-04-2015 , 12:41 PM
Subscriber
Thanks for the comments and encouragement Dave, I am trying to work in VRay only so will you be rending part 3 in VRay as I would love to get that?

Custom built W10 Pro 64 bit, Hazwell Intel 5820, Asus X99 MOBO, 32 GB DDR4 Ram, EVGA nVidia GTX1080 Founders Edition, 512GB SSD Primary HDD, 16TB Storage, 27" Samsung 4k Display. Wacom 27QHD, Oculus Rift CV1
# 13 18-04-2015 , 01:07 PM
SM Tea Boy