Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 23-02-2006 , 09:41 AM

3 sides and 5 sides why?

First, I' m newbies and I would like to know about the modeling concept in some point. Can you explain about why we must avoid to make the model by using 3 sides or 5 sides polys as possible as we can , and it must only be 4 sides, what 's effect to the model if we has 3 sides or 5 sides in our model and in what's point ?

thanks for all.

# 2 23-02-2006 , 04:43 PM
you dont need to have only 4 sided polys, normally you have 3 and 4 sided polys(unless you are really good) but 4 sided polys normally give you a better result

Environment Artist @ Plastic Piranha
www.joopson.com
# 3 23-02-2006 , 08:50 PM
People say you need quads (four-sideds) nearly exclusively because they feel that it shades better. In reality though -- all that really matters is the shape and form of the object.

# 4 23-02-2006 , 09:28 PM
when you smooth a 3 sided polygon, it deforms oddly and usually unexpectedly and unwantedly.

try to avoid them as best you can... its not that hard...

5 sided is really bad because they deform like 3 3-sided polys in one... and thats bad

3 is ok... not great
4 is good
5 is bad
n-sided is a definite no-no

Live the life you love, love the life you live
# 5 23-02-2006 , 10:22 PM
Subscriber
the right way is 4 sided like in all jobs theres ways of doing things easy and doin it not as good but gets the job done. but if u want to be good at your job or hobbie then do it the right way..........4 sided.

# 6 24-02-2006 , 03:36 AM
Is there any way to clean up the 3 and 5 sides quickly? Like I see theres a cleanup function, but I cant get it to work. Does it do something like that?

# 7 24-02-2006 , 03:42 AM
Subscriber
use whatever works.
theres nothing wrong with ngons or tris.
and no, if u want to clean them u need to split poly or remove edges.
maya automatically turns tris into quad and ngons into quads when it smooths [or does it best to...]