Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 15-05-2008 , 10:46 AM

A Game Art and Design School That Doesn't Accept 3d Portfolios?

I was looking at a uni to apply to and one of the IT administrators said I should try to get into a Game Design graduate school in Texas.(I'm a high school senior) So I had my portfolio ready and stuff because they say that if you have a really good one, they'll accept you straight from high school. But the only problem was that they only accept 2d art in a sketchbook. I found it very odd that they DO NOT ACCEPT ANY 3D ARTWORK!! Why would a game design school not accept any 3d work? I would submit some illustrations, but my 2d art just isn't that good right now. And since a 2d portfolio is mandatory, I was screwed. Can somebody explain why they would make a weird rule like that?

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man."

George Bernard Shaw - Man and Superman
# 2 15-05-2008 , 11:16 AM
Super Moderator
Well I could t think of a couple reasons.

1. 3D applications cost money and so do the computers to run em (my guess is that they don't want to assume you have those tools). A pencil and sketchbook is easy to get your hands on, and its easy for them to flip through.

2. I guess it shows if you have art in your background. Place spotlight on a poly sphere sitting on a plane in Maya and it'll look the way it should, recreating that in your sketchbook takes some know how.

Their reasons could be something totally different but thats what comes to mind when I read your question.

- Genny
# 3 15-05-2008 , 11:28 AM
Jr.Who
What's the website for the school?

# 4 15-05-2008 , 04:34 PM
@Jr. Who-
The info wasn't on the site. I called admissions asking if I could submit a 3d portfolio and they said that I couldn't.

@GecT-
But it's a graduate school and they expect you to already have experience with 3d software so I still don't get it.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man."

George Bernard Shaw - Man and Superman
# 5 15-05-2008 , 06:13 PM
maybe they want you to make a 3D thing based on what they want, just to prove you didn't steal the work from somewhere online.

Environment Artist @ Plastic Piranha
www.joopson.com
# 6 16-05-2008 , 12:44 AM
Banned
I know that Teesside university also requires a portfolio with 2d artwork. I applied there myself this year. Eventually I got a mail telling me to send a portfolio with 6 lifedrawings and 2 character designs. It was alittle weird that they didn't want any 3d artwork.

But understanding how important lifedrawing and drawing in general is, I really see why they want good drawers.
Anyway, I quickly drew a couple of drawings, and I hope I get accepted. =)

# 7 16-05-2008 , 01:57 AM
Senior Software Developer
There is no proof that being able to do 2D art at any level means you will be good at 3D Art.

I understand why they want a 2D Portfolio, its to show you have an understanding and background in Art. The reason I think they are not interested in 3D art, is the fact they are going to teach you and it is not a requirement to have any 3D knowledge or experience.

But still, there are ppl out there who cannot do 2D art, but do excel at 3D Art.

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)