Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 11-03-2015 , 06:18 PM
Subscriber

HeadUS UV Problems

Hi all,

I am just working on the house tutorial and its time to do the UVs, I bough the UV tutorials for the bedroom which uses HeadUS UV so that I could apply what I learn there to the house. I am trying to get the top floor into HeadUS and its just telling me that there are x number of faces in the imported surface that are odd. Checking the model I have rebuilt that section of the wall completely taking it back and extruding fresh faces but still its saying that there is a problem. Anyone have any ideas?

Cheers Clarke

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by mythandra; 11-03-2015 at 09:15 PM.
# 2 11-03-2015 , 11:32 PM
Super Moderator
Did you run a poly cleanup on it in Maya?

- Genny
# 3 12-03-2015 , 07:42 AM
Subscriber
Thanks for the reply Gen, no I didn't, however after trying various things I came across something that I knew was there but hadn't found very useful before. Vertex Faces, selecting this option showed were I had used the Target weld from the toolkit I had multiple vertex's there and some strange edges. So I removed them and its all working.

One very strange thing is that I had tried going into Vertex mode and selecting every vertex on the model and merging with the default settings. Which didn't seem to work.

Thanks for the suggestion though I will keep that in mind for future problems.

Thanks Clarke

# 4 14-03-2015 , 11:27 AM
SM Tea Boy
Sorry i missed this one DO'h but for the future if you select the geo in object mode (no need to select all verts) then run a merge verts or in 2015 merge components that should do it you may need to tweak the threshold / tolerance a bit.

All the best
David

From a readers' Q and A column in TV GUIDE: "If we get involved in a nuclear war, would the electromagnetic pulses from exploding bombs damage my videotapes?"
# 5 29-03-2015 , 02:47 PM
Subscriber
HI all

Well after doing the UVs in 2 separate parts for the top of the house and then the bottom I applied a nice texture material and I could see the seam between the floors which I didn't like. I have not combined both the top and bottom floor and all looks good apart from when I try and import into HeadUS UV it tells me there are 176 abnormal faces, I have checked the geo and all looks good, could someone help and tell me what I am going wrong with this please?

Many thanks

Mythandra

Attached Files
File Type: zip houseWalls.zip (44.9 KB, 219 views)

Last edited by mythandra; 29-03-2015 at 02:49 PM.
# 6 29-03-2015 , 05:59 PM
SM Tea Boy
Here you go this should work looks like you had some non manifold geometry -> mesh cleanup then make sure to cleanup non manifold geometry

I've attached a fixed obj
Good luck

From a readers' Q and A column in TV GUIDE: "If we get involved in a nuclear war, would the electromagnetic pulses from exploding bombs damage my videotapes?"
# 7 29-03-2015 , 08:46 PM
Subscriber
Many thanks Dave, Ill give this a go user added image although not seeing the attached file but will give the procedure a go.

Many thanks

Last edited by mythandra; 29-03-2015 at 08:50 PM.