Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 29-07-2004 , 02:05 AM

UVW Mapping

OK there's HASSSSSSSS got to be an EASY way to uvw map a regular plane with a bitmap. All i really want to do is to apply a bitmap.. at lets say 320x240 to a plane, AND keep the same height and width ratio of the bitmap. The only option i see is "fit to best plane or fit to bounding box". Basically i'm looking for a similar option in max which is "match bitmap" option.

thanks
strytus

# 2 30-07-2004 , 02:51 AM
just select the polies of your plane and go to Edit Polygons-->Textures-->planar mapping and go into the option box.
select the correct axis in the Mapping direction, and check the "keep image ratio" box.

then assign the texture to the color attribute of your material. and then you can scale your UVs until you have what you want.

Car-maker.
Check out my releases for RACER.
see the WWW button
# 3 30-07-2004 , 03:11 AM
The Maya Mountain
It'd be easiest to just make the plane match by making it 3.2x2.4 units wide/high. When the texture is applied, it'll be the right size.

# 4 30-07-2004 , 03:51 AM
that "keep image ratio" button, only works for maintaining uniform height/width right? meaning like keeping your image a square, right? because i've tried that.. and it just made my uvw map a square not actually maintaining my image ratio. and it didn't do too much of a good job. I must be using it wrong. Thanks mike for your input, there just doesn't seem a Quick way to it, but that'll have to do.

# 5 30-07-2004 , 04:05 AM
The Maya Mountain
Textures in Maya and most other 3D apps (as far as I know) generally tend to be calculated as a square, no matter what resolution the texture is.

I've never had any trouble with just creating the plane at the same resolution as the image.