Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 11-02-2009 , 01:04 AM

Tool Options?

How can I turn reflection on for the general tools like move, rotate and scale?

# 2 11-02-2009 , 10:24 AM
Subscriber
by reflection i assume you want to move components (face, edge, vertex) and move the one that's opposite to it...

if you're making a symmetrical model then you don't need this

just select half the faces on one side and delete them, them when you're done just duplicate special the mesh, then combine, then merge all the vertices at the borders with a low tolerance

you can find examples of that in action all over the place, there are examples of that sort of operation happening in some of kurt's free tutorials here

or maybe you have an asymmetical mesh... in that case you wont find any options of reflection like you could with the sculpt geometry and paint weights tool

if you want to move two components away or closer to each other, then just grab them and use the scale tool (scale in or out)

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 3 11-02-2009 , 12:38 PM
Couldn't you just have explained how to activate reflection, like the op asked?

Just open the tool settings (the middle of the three buttons on the top right of the screen) when you have either the move, rotate or scale tool active, and you'll see a checkbox for "reflection", along with axis check boxes, and a tolerance value.

Very usefull for modelling - although you may want to delete and mirror/duplicate at a later stage, it is usefull go work on both halves to give you a sense of scale and prooprtion.

cheers

gubar

# 4 11-02-2009 , 02:50 PM
Yeah I use the reflection when fleshing out the basic shapes and proportions, regardless if its a symetrical model or not, just to get a feeling of the overall shape.

Gubars right on the money with how to go about it.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle