Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 136 05-05-2009 , 10:42 PM
Worked out I've got too many maps and maya is just getting clogged up, so am going to start over from the UV stage and see if I can sort it out! The only thing I'm going to keep is the engines but the rest is getting re-done!
Glad it happened now and not further down the line!

# 137 06-05-2009 , 08:33 AM
MR can be a bugger for RAM on a 32bit system when the settings get high, you need to tame it.

Heres a few tips

Make sure you determine your texture resolution correctly, match the texture resolution to the screen space it takes up at a minimum.

Render in layers/passes and then comp them.

In the file attributs check use cache, this writes the file to HDD not RAM, unill its needed.

Convert files to BOT's using maya -optimiseRender original_filename.mb optimised_filename.mb in the command line.

You can use the -tw and the -th in the commandline render to tile the textures and geo to a lower size like 64.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 138 06-05-2009 , 02:52 PM
Thanks for the tips Steve, they will be very helpful!

I've actually re-done all of the Uv's now and started again on the texturing, I had used far too many maps for the whole thing ( It was my first go at doing the UV mapping properly and didn't quite know what I was doing...) but that's sorted now and it's not crashing, but I know once I've got it all textured up I'll need to be using some of those methods you've described to keep Mentalray happy!

# 139 06-05-2009 , 07:28 PM
Subscriber
Hi Dango. I had the same problem on the last competition with textures. What I did was lower the size of the textures. The UV should not be a problem. The actual size of the bitmaps. Resize them smaller then You can tile them if they are seameless.

# 140 06-05-2009 , 09:35 PM
Subscriber
plz tell me your not useing bitmaps for textures no wonder you were having problems.

Hey Dango77 - I re-started my texturing as well - it seems your always 1 step ahead of me - hehe

# 141 06-05-2009 , 09:38 PM
Subscriber
i just started and finished mine,

thankfully my model was really easy to map because most of it is flat
(i assume sokol's was easy to map too for similar reasons)

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 142 06-05-2009 , 09:53 PM
Thanks for the ideas Sokol, I had been advised about changing the map size already by gster, but your input is appreciated, I'm not using bitmaps and have heard some people saying not to use them so not too sure about that, I'll look into it some more so I can make a more informed opinion.

Shame to hear you've had to re-do your UV's Tweety, I'm on my third go at them and now have them looking just right so I'm happy, more like one step forward two steps back....lol
I've learnt for the next project though so not a waste of time!

Glad to hear you are making good progress Chirone, I have this thing where if I come up with an idea I have to try and do it, when I was building this model I had no idea how I was going to do the UV's as I'd never really done them before, but I do love a challenge and it's forced me to learn, now I can lay them out for something like this I feel I could do it for any model! (not actually true, just a good sense of confidence really...lol)

Will have an update soon, am nearly back to where I was on the painting as I've re-done everything nearly the same as before, a few changes but only for the better hopefully!

# 143 08-05-2009 , 04:26 PM
After re-doing the UV's and starting the texturing again from scratch I've pretty much caught up to where I was before, the overall colour is a little too dark at the moment and the panels on the top need adjusting (which I'm just about to do) but it's getting there again, still loads to do and I haven't even started the UV's of the pods!

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by Dango77; 08-05-2009 at 04:36 PM.
# 144 08-05-2009 , 05:23 PM
Level 32 pachyderm
WOW! user added image
looking great! user added image

although I personally think it would look better if the ship was a similar colour to the engines

# 145 08-05-2009 , 08:52 PM
Subscriber
Is certainly appears you are back up to speed with it, and looks very good. I think the adjustments you mentioned will help a little also. Really nice work!!

Challenge me and I will try. Because If I should fail, failure also has a prize (Knowledge).
# 146 08-05-2009 , 11:27 PM
Thanks Elephantinc,
I do agree with you, it would look cool with the same colours as the engine, I was tempted to do it but I'm going to keep to the original idea for the type of aliens I picked by making it an organic mixed with technology kind of ship. Though next I'm going to add a layer of a sandy kind of colour so it will change quite a bit again.
I had been thinking once the comps over I may re-texture it again with it all the same colours just to see how it looks, but for this challenge I think that look would stray away from the plan and maybe make the ship a bit too generic, it'd look good but not fit somehow.
Thanks for the comments though!

Thanks Tom,
I've already made some of the changes and it's starting to look better, probably keep fiddling with it til it's totally different if I'm not careful...lol,
Thanks for your comments and good words!
More to come soon!

# 147 08-05-2009 , 11:37 PM
Subscriber
Man, I wish I could texture good. This is a really nice texture you got going on here, good job.

# 148 09-05-2009 , 12:43 AM
Thanks rbrtsn!
I'm pretty new to texturing too but I have the luck of coming from a 2d art background so that will help me in the future, but I'm glad you are liking it so far!

I had a problem getting onto Imageshack to post a link of the full size version, but have managed to now so here it is...
Full size

# 149 09-05-2009 , 02:22 AM
Subscriber
i think the colours are good.

i think the colour of the docking bay should be changed slightly to make it stand out a little more like the engines do
(maybe make it darker/lighter/more-less-saturated or the same colour as the engines but with the same amount of brown that it has right now)

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 150 09-05-2009 , 08:56 AM
Thanks Chirone,
I agree, that is the part of the ship I've spent the least amount of time on and was thinking along the same lines as you've said, that's why I started adding in the grey to break it up, though I'm also adding in some other colour to the main shell of the ship so that may help too.
Thanks for the good words!