Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 10-09-2002 , 08:31 PM

whats the use of patch modelling

hey dudes,
when modelling a head with nurbs in seperate patches,the advantage is to have more detail in areas that need it.
of course what i'm confused about is after i patch model the head i need to stitch it right.and for the stitch to work correctly/succesfully the seams should have the same parametrization.so then i go and rebuild the surfaces and match the number of spans etc on every patch... thus contradicting what i intended to do in the first place user added image
i know sub-d is the way to go but i'd like to be convinced once and for all that nurbs and charachters are a no no.
tahnx dudes.
my first post here btw user added image
b

# 2 10-09-2002 , 09:34 PM

Re: whats the use of patch modelling

Originally posted by boomji
hey dudes,
when modelling a head with nurbs in seperate patches,the advantage is to have more detail in areas that need it.
of course what i'm confused about is after i patch model the head i need to stitch it right.and for the stitch to work correctly/succesfully the seams should have the same parametrization.so then i go and rebuild the surfaces and match the number of spans etc on every patch... thus contradicting what i intended to do in the first place user added image
i know sub-d is the way to go but i'd like to be convinced once and for all that nurbs and charachters are a no no.
tahnx dudes.
my first post here btw user added image
b

This might not really help, but...
It really depends on your workflow, and your final output.
For example, I use ONLY polys, and recently, subd's.
But, ILM's pipline is set-up specificly for NURBS.

I just depends on your usage, and to a lesser extent, experience and pipline.

Yeah... that didn't really help at all... sorryuser added image

I think there might be a tut on NURBS parametrization on Gnomon, but I hate suggesting them because I don't have the 50 bucks a month to spend to learn only a few things.
I think this site's VIP section is working on something along thos lines, and if they aren't, it might be a REALLY good suggestion for a tut.

Israel "Izzy" Long
Motion and Title Design for Broadcast-Film-DS
izzylong.com