Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 20-10-2004 , 04:48 PM

CRT vs LCD

Hey I was plannign on getting 2 new monitors so I have a larger working area when using Maya, and i heard that a CRT is better for working with Maya over flatscreen LCD's.

My problem is desk space at my house, is it really a concern if I get 2 Flatscreens? What are the cons of having flatscreens?

Thanks.

Animator / Digital Artist
# 2 21-10-2004 , 01:08 AM
Subscriber
I'm fine with a Flat Screen... it's saves space and I havent had any problems with mine for over a year and 7 months now...

-Emo

# 3 22-10-2004 , 12:26 AM
CRT is better for MAYA??? i didn't noe that... I've got a LCD and its just perfect. If u really wanna know some cons about it then, pixels burning out on the screen is the only thing that i can think of. And they're not that good for playing games either.

Darkness Falls... From Where???
# 4 22-10-2004 , 05:28 PM
I've heard that lower-end (cheapper) LCDs do not have a high enough refresh rate and pixel density. So when you try to orbit/pan/zoom in a 3D application or play games at a high frame rate the preformance is not equal to a CRT.

As well, its a fact that the native resolution of an LCD screen can not be changed (if you do change it it looks poor) so you get a bigger canavas size at a high resolution...

Is there anyone out there who is using two LCD screens profesionally?

Animator / Digital Artist
# 5 22-10-2004 , 09:17 PM
Subscriber
I own both CRT's and LCD displays and i can safely say i'll never buy another LCD for graphics work again. I'd go for the CRT every time. Color becomes a big problem with LCD displays. Trust me it's worth the extra space they use up.

# 6 09-11-2004 , 04:44 AM
I'm using a ViewSonic G220fb. It's a 60 pound beast, but I love every pound of it. No way I'll do LCD. The technology really isn't there yet.

Brian

# 7 09-11-2004 , 11:45 AM
Subscriber
Yeah i'm also using a viewsonic crt and love it.