Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 61 19-01-2007 , 09:04 PM
For me I think that I would pose him then take some pics of yourself/others in a similar position, then model the clothes from there, that way you know how the clothes are meant to look, rarther than leaning on blend shapes and painted weights etc..

If your going to go for cloth then Kurts tutorial might help you but no too sure as it can be very messey unless you get the settings right.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 62 19-01-2007 , 09:15 PM
thanks - I just hate the idea of modeling the clothes after posing him - I 'd rather have a character that I can animate rather than one stuck in a fixed pose.

# 63 19-01-2007 , 09:21 PM
True, but what I was thinking was, will you be animating him in the future?

I know what you mean about modeling the clothes in the pose (thats the problem i'm having) but I feel that it will give me a better result in the end (as i've got the ref for it too).

P.S My parents havea hotie with a fan, i'll get some pics for you, and i'm sure hes got a fan!

# 64 19-01-2007 , 09:24 PM
yeah - i know what you mean. I can always work on this at a later date.

cheers for the photos! user added image user added image

# 65 20-01-2007 , 06:51 AM
I think modeling clothes after posing will give twice more work then modeling them on T pose. And will be more difficult for you to determine how they will behave. If it was my model, I would model the clothes making my model live, making some curves on top of it, where natural seams on clothes go and using loft/boundary to generate some nurbs surfaces, making the clothes geometry.
After rigging and posing, I would use the sculpt geometry tool to make folds more naturaly, and when I got the results I wanted, I'd convert those nurbs to polygons, getting the final clothes.
I don't know if you like the idea, but I think doing clothes is much easier using nurbs than polys. Maybe this idea could be used as inspiration for something different, though user added image

# 66 20-01-2007 , 10:08 AM
Subscriber
Not sure if jramauri's idea would be allowed with the challenge rules in mind - it has to be all one mesh doesn't it for it to qualify? Looks like you're gonna need to do some serious extracting / merging user added image

Very nice modelling so far though :bow:

# 67 20-01-2007 , 11:00 AM
You can merge all pieces in one single. And this piece will be intersecting with the body. No problems.
Anyway, as I said it's just an idea, and can be improved.

# 68 20-01-2007 , 02:13 PM
Subscriber
Sorry mate should have read your post more thoroughly, missed the bit where you said to convert to poly. Yeah go with that idea i reckon user added image

# 69 20-01-2007 , 02:52 PM
Trie but what i was suggesting would seem to be eaiser for a single pose, in my mind. If your going to get ref why just not model it to the ref in the pose???

That was my thinking.

Anywho its two avenues of thought on this.

Cheers for the insight to your workflow jramauri, ill keep it in mind as im going for some animations for my next projects!

Cheers

Steve

# 70 20-01-2007 , 03:18 PM
thanks a lot guys - you have given me a lot to chew on. hmmm...user added image

here is a small update - I have been working on his stick thing this last day or so.

Attached Thumbnails
# 71 20-01-2007 , 03:20 PM
and here is a shot of it smoothed - I'm just kind of going for a stylized stick thing like the small statue that I have. you can also see his adjusted feet in this shot.

Attached Thumbnails
# 72 23-01-2007 , 08:23 AM
looking very nice arran, I like the skirt and other additions and that stick has some crazy detail in there user added image

Examples of bTraffic - a traffic animation tool for Maya
bFlocking - a tool for Maya 8.5+ to generate flocking and swarming behaviours
Jan/Feb Challenge 2007 Entry and W.I.P
May/Jun Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Mar/Apr Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Jan/Feb Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Nov/Dec Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Sep/Oct Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Jul/Aug Challenge 2005 Entry
www.flash-fx.net
# 73 23-01-2007 , 09:00 AM
Subscriber
Looking swish arran, I like them feet now, really suit the character with little stumpy hooves.

If you believe in telekinesis, raise my right hand.
# 74 23-01-2007 , 10:11 AM
19 year Veteran
Great progress arran! Love the new body topology. I didn't have a problem with previous topology, but the new one looks really great. Love the detail on the stick. Must have tooken a while to carve in those details. Finially, are you going to give him the robe that the concept pic sports?

# 75 23-01-2007 , 12:49 PM
thats really nice modeling, that stick looks great would love to see a smoothed version of the model.