Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 16 18-05-2008 , 11:30 AM
THANKS A LOT FOR THE LAST POST. IT WAS VERY HELPFUL. But before i try it another problem came up.

Duplicating the electrons along with their attributes has driven me crazy. I am been trying constantly for over 2 hours.

The problem is how many presets do i have to set?

I managed to get through with emitter, material, etc attributes. But the radial field attributes are driving me crazy.

Can you please guide me how to deal with radial field attributes. The problem is most of the time i get an error in the help bar that nothing with that preset name exist??!!!! Moreover, i also get the same errors when i try to preset emitter. Then i thought may be i have to again do the opacitypp thingy. + i have to again create radial field + parenting it to electron sphere + its sphere volume. It definately made difference in my electron trail, but still the error prevails. I am totally lost!!!!!

Please help and guide me!!!:headbang:

Last edited by bilalbajwa2336; 18-05-2008 at 02:13 PM.
# 17 18-05-2008 , 02:14 PM
Here is the file. I will be thankful to u if u take some time for my project. and tell me how to duplicate the electron orbit wit electron for other two orbits. Please guide me. Thanks a lot

Attached Files
File Type: mb atom.mb (83.9 KB, 256 views)
# 18 19-05-2008 , 01:34 AM

Originally posted by bilalbajwa2336
Here is the file. I will be thankful to u if u take some time for my project. and tell me how to duplicate the electron orbit wit electron for other two orbits. Please guide me. Thanks a lot

Ok, after taking a look at your file, it looks like you have a LOT of things going on all at the same time such as keyframed path animation, paths with history and transforms, and there were a few other things in your file that seemed broken on my end, but that didn't hamper me at all thouser added image

So, first I deleted the history and froze the transforms on your paths, and this allowed me to correctly parent your geometry+emitter to the path.

The reason I did that was to keep things simple.

That way you could get one looking and animating how you like, then, you could duplicate the whole lot and rotate it into position where you like.

But, sadly, that didn't seem to want to work without going into the Dynamic Relationship editor and relinking things and making things more difficult.

So, I had to start from scratch.

A few things to note:

When you want to Duplicate a group, but have everything be totally new objects and emitters, etc. you need to use "Duplicate Special", instead of just regular duplicate.
(See the attached image for the setting to use for that)
The jist of it is that the duplicate needs to dup the Input Connections (child nodes), and they need to be assigned NEW names, etc.

The second thing to note that when a particle emitter or particle object PRESET is made, you need to make sure NOT to include thinks like color aclum, expressions, etc as the preset for those will not be passed along to the new object. You must do those steps by hand, or via a melscript.[list=1]
So, anyhoo, how I got it to work was:
[*]I created 4 spheres[*]I positioned 3 of them on the outter areas away from the 4th, nucleus, larger sphere.[*]I repositioned the centerpoints of the outter 3 so they would rotate around the nucleus sphere each on a different axis. (rot x, y, and z)[*]I added that simple "time*90" expression to thier respective rotation channel to animate thier rotation without keyframesuser added image
So one sphere rotated on its X, one sphere rotated on its Y, etc..)[*]I then selected one of the smaller rotating spheres and applied a surface emitter, BUT before I did, I opened the option box and made SURE I reset it to the default settings in the dialog before I applied it.
(just to clear out anything from the previous testing)[*]Then I did the same for the other 2 spheres[*]Then I tweaked the first emitter1 and particleShape1 to look right, and made a preset for them.[*]Then I applied the preset to the remaining emitters and particleShapes, and tweaked thier look to taste.[*]Then last, I positioned the fields at the trailing end of each particle tail.[/list=1]

So, thats how I got it working for ME.
You may have issues with your setup as dynamics and keyframed path animations are not good bedfellowsuser added image

However, all the steps above took me only 15 minutes to do, so having to start over with your animation is not always a bad thinguser added image

Anyhoo, good luck and I hope this helped a little to lead you on your way.

Attached Images

Israel "Izzy" Long
Motion and Title Design for Broadcast-Film-DS
izzylong.com
# 19 19-05-2008 , 01:45 AM
In case they help, I attached my new Maya 8.5 Unl. scene file along with a Maya .ma version as well.

Hopefully if you IMPORT the .ma file into your version of Maya it MAY give you errors, but still show the animation once you rewind ituser added image

PS, I stripped out all references to Maya 8.5 in the .ma file so it should at least IMPORT into most versions of Maya.

Errors may occur and there is sadly nothing I can do about thatuser added image

Good luck!

Attached Files
File Type: rar atomscene.rar (17.1 KB, 234 views)

Israel "Izzy" Long
izzylong.com
# 20 19-05-2008 , 02:42 AM

Thanks A Lot

Each time you reply, each time i get amazed that your each and every thread is informative and most helpful. Thanks A Lot.

Yesterday i was feeling very upset that i can never learn Maya . But now with your last thread i have started to really learn the way to think and the way to make things easier for oneself.

I have 1 GB Ram and now my computer is killing me while running maya 7 by either giving errors like "system failed to save in temp folder" or by halting and giving me real harsh time. :angery:

But believe me Maya is running in my mind now.

I am going to try everything you told me right now. I want to ask these few off topic questions.

Whats your profession ?
where you learned maya ? And how long does it took u?
How long you are working with Maya?
What's the best way to learn it efficently?
What computer config you recommend for running maya?

I am going to try everything you told me (Thanks).
Basically i am making a cool screensaver for my desktop and also for my IPHONE. Therefore, i am going to ask you for more help when i will come to rendering part and setting my camera view.

:attn: :attn::attn: :attn: :attn: :attn: :attn:

# 21 19-05-2008 , 03:20 AM
What this error means, I usually gets it in maya then my maya closes.

Attached Images
# 22 19-05-2008 , 08:26 AM
basically, that means maya crashed. (yes, it crashes, just like any other program). If you go and look in the directory specifed, there may be a file that it saved when it crashed.

Book Wise

https://X4nd5r.deviantart.com
# 23 19-05-2008 , 01:12 PM

Re: Thanks A Lot

Originally posted by bilalbajwa2336
Each time you reply, each time i get amazed that your each and every thread is informative and most helpful. Thanks A Lot.

No problem, thats what the community is all aboutuser added image

I want to ask these few off topic questions.

Whats your profession ?

My official title is Senior Effects Compositor, but mainly I work with all facets of techniques and software to complete effects shots, and I approve final shots from the Jr. artists.

where you learned maya ? And how long does it took u?

I actually never went to any structured school because back in 1997 when I started, there were no 3d schools, so I learned it all on my own.
(streaming video wasn't around then so it was all online text tutorials or VHS tapes from the software manufactures for everyone)
Although, in 1997 there were only about 5 tutorials TOTAL online at the time, hehe. And don't forget, Yahoo was the big thing back then, lol
I would also say that it took me about 4 straight years at home EVERY night and weekend and sometimes during the day at work learning various pieces of software and techniques.

How long you are working with Maya?

Since version 1 for Windows was released in 1998.
Before that I was using Power Animator and Dynamation. Both of those eventualy became what we now know as Maya. I was also using 3D Studio Max.
From a 2D perspective I was using Photoshop for paint and color theory training and started learning compositing in 1999 when Maya Fusion was released.

What's the best way to learn it efficently?

On your own time and SLOWLYuser added image I learned that lesson the hard way years ago when I would tell myself, "I just want to make Jusrassic Park!", and then I would get frustrated and depressed and lose interest for a month or so until I found my way again. I had to learn to be patient and take things one step at a timeuser added image

What computer config you recommend for running maya?

I actually explain my current rig in this thread HERE, but if you go to the Autodesk www site, they have a qualified Hardware list for you to look at and then you can make up your own minduser added image

Good luck!

Israel "Izzy" Long
izzylong.com
# 24 21-05-2008 , 04:33 PM

EXPRESSIONS

I am been studying about animation expressions for two days now. I think if i write an expression for one electron to revolve in an elliptical orbit then i cant animate that elliptical orbit to rotate on its axis while electron revolving around it.

What u guys think?

# 25 26-05-2008 , 01:06 AM
Please tell me how to draw trails of electrons like in this attached picture. Radial field is not giving me required result.

Attached Thumbnails