SimplyMaya Forums

Welcome to the forum, feel free to ask questions here.

SM Forums / Lounges / Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge / Maya how to edit rewind hotkey

Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge Please post in this section ONLY if your question doesn't fit in anywhere else on the forum, or if you're not sure which section it's relevant to. We also have Free streaming trial available.

Join the conversation. Reply to post

21-04-2013, 09:06 PM   #1
danielchappelle

Maya how to edit rewind hotkey
Maya how to edit rewind hotkey?

I can deal with alt v - for playback toggle

But I want to create hotkey alt c - for rewind

I tried opening mel and searching in HotKey editor...

But can't figure out how create this hotkey....

Also, if possible can anyone suggest a cool site or list of Hotkeys the PROS use... It would be a great share.

Thanks All
Dan

Last edited by danielchappelle; 21-04-2013 at 09:07 PM. Reason: typo
22-04-2013, 03:29 AM   #2
Gen
Super Moderator

You can use the play command. Query if the timeline is currently playing back, if yes, stop it, if not, play in reverse. This allows for it to be toggled instead of using another key for stopping.

Code:
if(`play -q -state` ==1)
	play -state 0;
else
	play -forward 0;

Disregarding functions tied to various plug-ins, commercial and otherwise, I should think that what hotkeys get used comes down to the goal and the user's preferences. Maybe there is one out there but I can imagine it being a nightmare to sift through the endless setups.
::|| My Maya FAQ ||::

Last edited by Gen; 22-04-2013 at 03:33 AM. Reason: didn't really explain a couple things.
23-04-2013, 02:33 PM   #3
danielchappelle

Gen
I am confused.
Your script works fine to rewind, but for me it loops in rewind - this must be my animation playback settings - I'll check.
But it is odd that there is no - go to start frame.

Seems to me it would be useful for all.

Simply PLAY, REWIND, PLAY.

I was under the impression every thing in maya can be seen in the mel command window - but when you click rewind no mel commands display, the box is empty - for lack of a better way of putting it.
Thanks for input.
Dan
23-04-2013, 09:30 PM   #4
Gen
Super Moderator

If you turn go to "History>Echo all commands" in the script editor you can see the code that performs the same as what I just posted (I didn't even check, I just jumped on the play command lol).

Code:
playButtonBackward;
There's even a command in the hotkey editor already too, in the playback controls category. However this one does not toggle like above.

And there is a go to start frame command.
Code:
playButtonStart;
Just create a new hotkey for it.
Attached Images

::|| My Maya FAQ ||::