SimplyMaya Forums

Welcome to the forum, feel free to ask questions here.

SM Forums / Maya Questions / Maya Modeling / Maya Extrude face along curve problems

Maya Modeling Everything on Modeling Techniques and Tools - NURBS, Polygons and Subdivisions Related in this Section.

Join the conversation. Reply to post

06-04-2020, 09:53 AM   #1
rmufrancisco

Maya Extrude face along curve problems
Hello! Back with another problem.

I'm working on some modular terrain pieces based on hexagons, particularly roads. I'd have thought that using the path extrude tool would let me build symmetric 30 degree road turns but there's a couple of points that make the results undesirable.

Click image for larger version

Name:	001.PNG
Views:	23
Size:	31.0 KB
ID:	58011
A. The end face isn't aligned in the proper direction, especially at low division counts.
B. The placement of divisions isn't equal throughout the extrusion and there is some nasty skewing happening

Increasing the division count to the maximum (25) fixes problem A, and I think I can just reduce it from there, but the skewing and unequal divisions are still quite noticeable.

Name:	002.PNG
Views:	25
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	58012

Here are were the control vertices for the curve I use are placed

Name:	003.PNG
Views:	23
Size:	32.9 KB
ID:	58013

Granted, I haven't noticed this happening on previous versions of Maya since I think I only used the method a couple of times with nowhere near the precision required. Maybe there's an option somewhere I missed that fixes this behavior?

Thanks in advance!