Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 15-11-2005 , 12:21 AM
Subscriber

Texturing a head is tough, but what do you think anyway.

Dudes!

Here is my textured head without using any photos as maps. I followed bits of 3 tutorials...cyclops is one of them. But am I close to making realistic human skin?

I used 3 point lights and all of a sudden, I can see the translucy of the skin. But with the default light which delete itself after I put my own lights....made my skin look so dull.

I used 1 spot for back light, 2 point lights at .5 intensity, I think.

I put the translucency of the blinn attribute close to the max..not sure if I am doing it right.

But tell me what do you think? I haven't try making the spec map yet,..but there is a bump map.

Any thoughts are welcome.

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 15-11-2005 , 02:12 AM
Subscriber
here is the other side

Attached Thumbnails
# 3 15-11-2005 , 12:13 PM
Your material is reminding me of my entry for last challenge. I had hard times to make skin looks like skin. At first sight, your skin is looking plasticy. Unfortunatelly, we can't do the natural translucence of skin only using default Maya's materials and adjustments. There's a good approach you can follow on Steven Stahlbergs site, www.androidblues.com, in tutorials section. Or you can use a SSS skin shader, that will give EXACTLY the look skin must have. You can download this material in www.highend3d.com (and read the wonderful SSS tutorial there), or if you have Maya 7.0, SSS is already part of MR shaders. Anyway, I strongly recommend you read the tutorial on Highend3d. Good luck!

Last edited by jramauri; 15-11-2005 at 12:16 PM.
# 4 15-11-2005 , 01:10 PM
Subscriber
is this texture made up from procedurals? if it is then it is very difficult to get an accurate representation of skin this way.

the best way is to go into photoshop and create one there, use a photo to help obtain the colour skin tones and as reference to designing the texture.

3d Total Textures has a cd dedicated to just humans and creatures and has a library with plenty of skins, eyes etc to use.

Also maya software will only push those skin tones out to a certain extent, for best results use Mental Ray or if you have access then prehaps Renderman.

3D Modeler and Texture Painter (Learning)
"We have limits.... our imagination does not"

Final Year: University of Bradford (Worst place to live and study in the UK!!)
# 5 15-11-2005 , 04:50 PM
Subscriber
I made it in photoshop using the filter noise and blurred out the layers and played around the blend modes.

I guess I will have to give Mental Ray a try.

But where does one put the blue veins other than the neck?

I know the neck is less delicate than the face so I assume the veins should be thicker than the ones on the face.

Thank you for all your comments.

# 6 15-11-2005 , 05:01 PM
Subscriber

# 7 15-11-2005 , 06:12 PM
www.androidblues.com works, the problem is that on my post, theres a comma included on the link, hehe... You can find some high resolutions photos of heads on www.3d.sk. They give some samples theres, just search. Are wonderful ref pics.