Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 16 03-04-2010 , 08:02 AM
Lifetime Member

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 17 03-04-2010 , 09:08 AM
Subscriber
Very good point you make bullet, if you slavishly follow the tut, are you really learning?

My workflow differs from the guys who did the lamborgini tut, they model each car panel individualy then tweak for hours to pull all the verts into line, i did it their way first, didnt like it and went back to my way, but i am still getting lots out of it and in the end if my model is comparable to theirs then the tut has worked, because i woudnt have been able to do it from a blank peice of paper.

free memory low..exception thrown
# 18 03-04-2010 , 09:20 AM
Lifetime Member
I agree mate.

I am a REAL novice BUT I can see the shortcuts most of the time. I dont follow right up there but I listen and if I can find a better/faster way I will. That is the only reason I am good at my job, think outside the square, tackle problems front on and if you cant get through, sit back, grab a beer and try the backdoor so to speak.

Im glad you agree with me, I have met people in real life that will berate you for straying from the path padwan. I like the basic learning and play with it, I mean ONCE you know basic stuff then you can expirement I reckon?

After all learning is meant to be fun right?

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 19 03-04-2010 , 09:29 AM
The thin red line
Hi Bullet
Looking good, if I understand you correctly you were joining one of the round holes from one side of the wheel to the other, you could have used the bridge tool set to 0 sections a lot faster...........dave

# 20 03-04-2010 , 10:05 AM
Lifetime Member
Yeh thanks dave,

I was following Kurt to a point, didnt think of that one at the time,bahahaha, although I use it quite a bit. When he extruded edges down for the elevators I found it too cumbersome and used that method you mentioned there.

You get kind of focussed on the tut but I try not to get stuck in methodology all of the time. I find if I think he is doing it long hand I will watch the vid a couple of times and work out the end goal and try to replicate it quicker, doesnt always work though, bahahaha, the joys of learning. I havent felt this inspired since school man!!!! 40 million LYA I might add.

Got my tut for the tie fighter and jedi fighter approved half an hour ago, bring on the fun!!!!

cheers bullet

bullet1968

# 21 05-04-2010 , 02:11 PM
Lifetime Member
Ok here we go AT LAST. This took 3 hours!!!! bloody hell what a learning curve and only 10% Googled. I didnt like the way it was turning out with the tut, so I had to give myself a migraine and do this. Created the canopy in nurb, turn to poly, turn surf live.Created frame with CV, lofted etc, turn to poly, delete 4 million edges on corner/curved parts. Put in edge loops etc manipulated a bit then presto.

Had to remember how to birail etc only got shown once and it was a nightmare to remember!!! But I did it in the end, probably the long way user added image. Anyway now I have walked to Melbourne and back I can go to bed!!

I know its only small but to me it was HUGE!! Learnt a lot, mistakes heaps, migraine large, satisfaction unlimited, wife unhappy, husband glowing in miniscule acheivment.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/4090628/spitfire_cockpit.JPG

aaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

bullet1968

# 22 05-04-2010 , 03:21 PM
As Zbrushiac sounds stupid!

Originally posted by bullet1968
Ok here we go AT LAST. This took 3 hours!!!! bloody hell what a learning curve and only 10% Googled. I didnt like the way it was turning out with the tut, so I had to give myself a migraine and do this. Created the canopy in nurb, turn to poly, turn surf live.Created frame with CV, lofted etc, turn to poly, delete 4 million edges on corner/curved parts. Put in edge loops etc manipulated a bit then presto.

Had to remember how to birail etc only got shown once and it was a nightmare to remember!!! But I did it in the end, probably the long way user added image. Anyway now I have walked to Melbourne and back I can go to bed!!

I know its only small but to me it was HUGE!! Learnt a lot, mistakes heaps, migraine large, satisfaction unlimited, wife unhappy, husband glowing in miniscule acheivment.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/4090628/spitfire_cockpit.JPG

aaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Nice one man!

Bit of intersecting geo, but that's not a problem, simple edit should fix that.

Nice work.

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Your weapons are no match for ours! People of Mars, surrender!"
"Um, this isn't Mars. This is Earth."
"Earth? Earth-with-nuclear-weapons Earth?"
"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"
# 23 05-04-2010 , 07:39 PM
Subscriber
Bullet...i have been there, no matter how long u do this for u will go there, it is a deal with the devil!

Dont sweat it too much, dont think u have to be clever or complicated to build somthing, this is my spitfire cockpit at low res, very simple.

Attached Thumbnails

# 24 05-04-2010 , 07:45 PM
Subscriber
I did this in 2007, i havnt used anything misterious or any more polys than you, its just practice, if u would like to message me, i will gladly send u the mesh to help you out, you will see that i am using the same techniques that u are currently learning, i just spent nore hours than you getting it wrong than you have so far

Attached Thumbnails

# 25 05-04-2010 , 09:12 PM
Lifetime Member
Hey guys thanks,

yeh Mayaniac its not done, I left the canopy in for visual only. I used it as the surface for the frame placemant. I basically did the bottom profile on the fuselage (live) then made the canopy live for the top profile and rails. Then did my thing and I will cut out the windows after so the geo should all match up when Im done, if I dont jump off the bridge first!! bahahahah

Will do paldav, when I get back home from work, not a problem man, thank!!!

Cheers bullet

Oh and thanks paldav for the inspiration on the amount of hours getting it wrong!! bahahahahahah Im not done yet

bullet1968

Last edited by bullet1968; 05-04-2010 at 09:46 PM.
# 26 08-04-2010 , 08:24 AM
Lifetime Member
Ok guys, I scrubbed it all, too much pissfarting around to get the frame to mesh with the fuselage.

So I did this (with an idea from paldav). Oh and I made an error, should have extruded and scale extruded 2 more times for my edges, Im a novice with a BIG L.

The pics explain what I did I hope. I didnt like extruding the front part or what I did before. So I made a small face extruded it (and made error) picked an edge, extruded both X and Y and extracted and made a live working plane (not the aircraft you should see its outline in the pics).

Then CV tool to get my shape on my plane, to poly etc and presto. I spent hours on it and made the mistake of NOT doing the incremental extrusions to create my edges. So It does look funky BUT I think the experiment worked and will use it again. I wont be doing this part of the frame again, too much trouble.

https://www.dropbox.com/gallery/40906...frame?h=c72cb0

bullet1968

# 27 08-04-2010 , 10:06 AM
Lifetime Member
Ok this one only took 30 mins....faster and faster.........

Attached Thumbnails

bullet1968

# 28 08-04-2010 , 01:21 PM
Lifetime Member
Well I thought I did well but I was done better. Damn ripped apart, I merged vertices, havent learnt enough on edge seams though. Getting a lot of non-manifold errors. I must be doing it wrong. But anyway,,,,,, looks good from a distance or through the bottom of a stubby.

cheers bullet

Attached Thumbnails

bullet1968

# 29 08-04-2010 , 03:13 PM
The thin red line
Hi Bullet
Are you trying to make the canopy as one part to the fusalarge. not sure if thats a good idea but I have not done this sort of modelling............dave

# 30 08-04-2010 , 03:42 PM
Lifetime Member
Hi dave,

no I wasnt, maybe that is the problem, I need to seperate it better. hmmmmmm was a good idea I thought but

bullet1968