Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 21-08-2011 , 05:25 PM

Need help with UV mapping

Hi my name is Daniel and i have recently gone from 3dsmax to maya and i have huge problems with uv mapping.

at the moment im trying to uv map this object, its some rocks that i have done i zbrush.
i have watched a bunch of tutorials and i cant get this to work, some guys uses planar some automatic and some unfold etc. but nothing works XD

EDIT , cant get the forums image function to work either so here is a link to my screenshot
https://imageshack.us/f/832/crystalrocks.jpg/

# 2 21-08-2011 , 06:36 PM
Technical Director
Is that one object? You won't be able to just press a button and unwrap that. You'll need to automatic map it, then move and sew the edges together. After that, you can use unwrap. It's not an automatic process.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 3 21-08-2011 , 06:53 PM
but when i press automatic then i get like billions of small small faces in the uv editor

# 4 21-08-2011 , 07:05 PM
The thin red line
When you exported from zbrush did you not go down to the lowest level............dave

Edit: you could try UV master in zbrush that should give you a good starting place

# 5 21-08-2011 , 08:07 PM
Technical Director
Try a cylindrical projection, and an unwrap.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.