Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 31 17-04-2007 , 09:09 AM
Hey guys,
I'm home now and ready to go. I can do the room structure but without doing some reading or searching, I don't know how to model things to size. If you told me to make a box 10 inches by 5 inches, I wouldn't know how. If one of you could give me some instruction I should be fine. In the mean time, I'll work on finishing up the end unit.

njon, you're doing a great job leading this project.

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!
# 32 17-04-2007 , 09:44 AM
Subscriber
Perfecto,
Good u're home! Have a nice dinner and lemme tell u , u doin a great job, naturally...so dont sweat and just do what feels right.
Whats that means in this example is, now that you have built parts of the furniture, just place them on a floor plane.
Then, start building a walls and ceiling around em, something like the reference that I provided u.
Dont worry about the exact sizes for this project.
Whats really important is VISUAL PROPORTIONS!

Hey also add a camera, to simulate a similar view as the ref image.

All the best! user added image

*Sometimes its very imp to focus on things u know and ignore what u dont. U do know working for a goal and u do know it very well!
:-)

Last edited by njon; 17-04-2007 at 09:54 AM.
# 33 17-04-2007 , 09:55 AM
Thanks njon!!! Here's another update of the end unit. I will go ahead and start the floor and walls as you said. THIS IS SOOOOOO FUN.

Attached Images

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!
# 34 17-04-2007 , 10:12 AM
I'm not sure what I did but I can't click select the end unit anymore. I can select it in the outliner but not on the object. Any idea what's happening? Luckily I saved it under a different file name before I made the two bottom handles so I can go back.

P.S. njon...I've only been doing this for 7 weeks now so this is an excellent learning experience for me.

Exceed Expectations!
# 35 17-04-2007 , 10:19 AM
I click selected a handle in the messed up scene, copied and then pasted it into the previous saved scene. I'm back to where I was. Still would like to know what happened though. Gonna grab a bite to eat and then I'll start the room.

Exceed Expectations!
# 36 17-04-2007 , 11:08 AM
Subscriber
hehe!
Guess we'll have to figure out whats goin on...
But that'll be for later, for now we just march ahead...
baby steps at a time!
Glad u;'re njoying...
Do sleep and rest when u feel like.

Now, this is gonna happen next:
1.The room would be ready
2.The room file goes to sever. He gets the size for the bed and starts working further on his bedding placing it in the room for a visual reference.
3.Either you or sever, starts modeleing the wooden structure of the bed.
4.Once ure done, sever can start texturing assigning shaders to the objects.
5.The file comes to me. I start lighting it up.
6.Pfto works on the windows & doors, cornish etc.
6.sever, gets the bedding n pillows ready.
7.Now everyone has the perfect file size, so all objects fit where they should.
8.I recieve all objects and include them in the file, and finalise lighting.

Looks like we'll all be doing something in a way trying to better or learning tools that need to be learnt for the desired result.

# 37 17-04-2007 , 11:20 AM
I'm done with the wall/floor layout (start anyway). I put a ceiling on so I could get a better feel for the room but just can't get the lighting right yet. I'll post a room render shortly for feedback before I start transfering files.

By the way, is sending a file easy? I'll read up in case.

Exceed Expectations!
# 38 17-04-2007 , 11:29 AM
Subscriber
dont bother abt lighting for now.Just let default lites be there.

We'll have to fig out the sending files part.
Also, we have to communicate with sever on the matter.
We'll fig that tomrow.

U can take it easy for today!
Catch a goodnights sleep!

:-)

Last edited by njon; 17-04-2007 at 11:34 AM.
# 39 17-04-2007 , 11:40 AM
Took a while just to be able to see the scene. I spent about 45 minutes just trying to get the lights bright enough. I've got directional lights, area light, volume light, you name it. Blahhhh! My screen is completely white (#7 pressed) but this is what it looks like rendered. From here out, I'll just render with ceiling and used default lights as you suggested.

Attached Images

Exceed Expectations!
# 40 17-04-2007 , 11:43 AM
Room with scene image. just realize that I need to move the left wall over some more. It's too close to the end unit.

Attached Images

Exceed Expectations!

Last edited by Perfecto; 17-04-2007 at 11:45 AM.
# 41 17-04-2007 , 09:57 PM
Good morning everyone! Here's a little update I did last night.

Attached Images

Exceed Expectations!
# 42 17-04-2007 , 11:14 PM
Subscriber
Hey that looks great at a glance!

Havent verified with the ref tho. There could be some minor changes or there may not be any.(If ure very lucky u'll always get clients who give "no changes" feedback)

Sever, are you in sync with work progress so far?

Pfto, could u try the pm feature in simplymaya and try to pm me?
I tried to pm u , but u have disabled both features, email and pm.

Last edited by njon; 17-04-2007 at 11:17 PM.
# 43 17-04-2007 , 11:17 PM
I'll try it now

Exceed Expectations!
# 44 17-04-2007 , 11:21 PM
Perfecto; the curved drawer handles look great user added image

njon, you may want to look into www.uploading.com

I did more modeling last night, mainly adding some grooves on the surface of the mattress to create those "diamond" shapes you can find undulating over the surface. However, I put the groove dips a wee bit too close, so I need to space them out.

# 45 17-04-2007 , 11:24 PM
Sever, are you going to work on the headboards or do you want me to give it a try?

Exceed Expectations!