Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 21-03-2005 , 11:51 PM

For people who have lots of time

I've a bunch of questions, but i dont know who to ask these questions to... Only if you are bored, and have free time to answer plz do. Do not waste time on these if u are busy. hahaha.

Thanks people. I'm new to maya, and these are just some theory questions.

1) what progs. dont take higher than degree 3 curves?

2) if i use CV curve tool, or in a surface make an extra Isoparm, does that raise the degree of the curve? Is isoparm just indicators of connecting to EPS? like Hulls to CV's?

3) if chord-length is proportional to length, why is it irregularly spaced? doesn't proportional mean "regularly spaced"??!?!

4) when two NURB surfaces are attached, but has different direction of U/V. what happens? Does it get messed up and i have to reverse curve?

5) whats the diff between "section" and "span"? are they just different words to describe? ( I really am confused about this... "section spans" "sections" "spans" @_@!!

6) how come "degree" does not change when number of spans are changed? Do number of spans/EP not matter to degrees at all? or is it because degree only determine the ratio of Span to EPs. (ex. degree 4 curve will have more than 4 cv's per span)

7) what is a Bezier curve?

8) why does the my curve have 4 spans, when there are only 7 CVs?? since im using default 3 degree.. shouldn't it be 2 spans? coz 1 span has 4 cvs?

9) is increasing degree undesirable? so if using a "Pen Curve" tool, should i rebuild the curves w/ 3 degrees to keep and change it to "UNIFORM" from "Chord Length"?

10) to make sure a curve passes through another curve, is using EP for snap-to-curve the only choice?

11) how does alpha channel work? if you have "alpha" channel, does it always ignore "black" to and only use "white"? Problem w/ mine at first was trying to use alpha channel, it got kinda transparent on "white" places. (nm, downloading alpha-channel tutorial)

12) texture question: diffuse/bump maps, is it done in Maya or in photoshop? no need to go into details, just which prog? (you can tell how much of a lowly Maya creature i am.. by this question)