Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 28-03-2007 , 12:35 PM

So why do you model?

Well for the professionals, it's pretty obvious, but for all those amateurs like me, why do you model? what are your aims, and what do you do with your models and renders after you have finished them off?

Personaly I am a physicist, but I'm also an avid cartoonist and have had some published work. For me, Maya is an opportunity to get some of my work into 3D and eventually I'd like to produce some shorts based on my cartoons. I've no intention of taking it up professionally though.

# 2 28-03-2007 , 01:46 PM
Im currently doing a PHD that I'm using maya to do a lot of things in, possibly not whats it's designed for but it works perfectly to get my theories down before I invest a lot of time in doing the actual work, I'll also be using it to proces and help to analyze the data that I gather.

As for personal reasons I generally model, animate and render for fun, just to see I can push myself to do some really good stuff! I generally dont go for low poly but mainly realism if possible but on my lateest side project I'm having to cut it back a bit as I'll run into loads of problems with a lot of polys!

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 3 28-03-2007 , 02:45 PM
I've always been fascinated by the CG movies. I see them all because I have a 4 year old boy. I did a little research and found out they used Maya. So, 4 weeks ago, I got it and am now completely hooked on it. I REALLY REALLY REALLY want to be able to one day do this for a living. I think I want to specialize in modeling and rigging but I have a lot to learn. It's just sooooooooo much fun.

My dream job would be to work at Pixar, Dreamworks, or Blue Sky.

# 4 28-03-2007 , 03:26 PM
Subscriber
Fun, freedom, and now finance.

I always want to draw comics and was on the right path to, until I got stabbed though the hand in a nightclub.
As a result I have no feeling in my middle finger, although it moves fine. Ever since have not been able to write or draw anyway near as good as I used to or need to be for drawing comics. My flatmate then got me in to multimedia which lead me to uni (hnd multimedia) which lead to 3d modeling (my B.A).

I love the freedom you get from creating your own storys and even modlering a simply character you can tell a intresting story. I like the fact that I can say "I made that" and often try completely different models the next time I get into a project. So many people see my work and say "wow how you do that"

The fact that I now do this for a job makes me very happy, as I got a job I love (still hard to get out of bed for though), but even when not working I enjoy creating the next wonderful model.

My only regert is that my texturing skills are not that great but this is also down to my hand. programs that rely on grathic tablets like zbrush/mudbox are also a problem.

My aim to to be able to model anything.
Someone coming up to me and saying "make this" and I can without worrying about. that would be cool.

# 5 28-03-2007 , 07:28 PM
Subscriber
I do it cause i like creating things. It is good because i have complete control over what it will look like and what i can do with it after it is done.
I am doing a course in multimedia and i am hoping to get into either games or movies later on. Atm i just do it for fun and to practice and get better.

"If Less is more then think how much more more would be..."

Winner June 2009 Spaceship Challenge
# 6 28-03-2007 , 07:37 PM
Acid44
your not just any physicist your a physicist with a crowbar!user added image ... dangerous mix...

i modell because i find it fun im a hobbyist at the moment but im trying to get my foot in the door of game and advertising modeling by making things for my portfoliouser added image

# 7 28-03-2007 , 07:53 PM
Subscriber
I've always had an artistic side of me, whether it was drawing (not so much anymore but when I was younger), painting, sculpting, music (mostly what I enjoy to do). I picked up maya because I've wanted to 3d model and animate for a long time. I'd like to make a short someday with my own music playing. I've been seriously thinking about going to school for it but I'm so indecisive it's hard to figure out what I want to do. I'm 23 and live on my own and factory jobs arent' cutting it. I need to persue a career and something I enjoy which at the moment is either music of 3d modeling/animation. The 3d thing seems more like something that could become a career someday so I might go for it. Right now I'm just self teaching to learnt he basics and get it down and see if I really do like it before I spend money on schooling.

# 8 29-03-2007 , 04:36 AM
Subscriber
Neat thread Edward,

it's made me reflect on what I'm doing and how I got here.

I started by messing with images in Photoshop, progressed to making little animations in Image Ready which led me to the wonderful world of 3D and Maya.

I'd now like to make a living using CG which is why I ditched my job and am half way through spending 3 years doing a degree in computer animation and honing my skills to get good enough to get a job by the end of it.

Cheers,

Mat.

# 9 02-04-2007 , 02:27 PM
I model alot just becouse I find it relaxing just modeling from your mind. And I also have intentions to go to a 3d education when I'm done with school. (3 months left) user added image

# 10 02-04-2007 , 03:06 PM
Senior Software Developer
I agree with Mat, great thread...

A Bit of Background
Well, I was in the Army as a Military Police Officer finishing my 11th year and was looking at what to do when I got out. I was browsing the web, on my 56k modem, and came across these images and animations and it was done using a software called Maya by Alias|Wavefront. I got a copy of the PLE for 4.5 and immediately got scared and never used it again after only a month. About 2 years later, after leaving the Army and getting a few crappy jobs, I started playing the web design and Flash. I became reasonably good and started making Rich Internet Applications, in Flash, for my brothers business and his side hobby of equestrianism.

Through this I discovered that I liked to create, I found it rewarding. Much more so that the current job as an IT Road Sweeper/Toilet Cleaner (that's support work - fixing others problems). It gave me a lift I needed. Just then this new game arrived on the scene, with ground breaking graphics and phyisics engine, it was called Half-Life 2. So I bought it and played it end to end in 21 hours and thought, "How did they make this?". So I dug around and found that they used XSI to create all the assets for the game. And away my idea of going into the Games Industry spawned.

I learned and taught myself how to model and use XSI via the web. Then a friend caught on that I was doing this and he showed me Maya, this was at version 5 or 6 and I thought no I wanted to perfect my skills in XSI. This lasted 3 months and I was persueded to go to Maya and I never looked back.

Why Do I Do It
I get to create, whether its good or bad. I can make things and I get to produce something that belongs to me and is my own effort. I want to move into 3D, but its so very hard to get a foot in the door in any sector. To get noticed you have to be soooo good at what you are doing even to get a reply to your CV & Portfolio. This is why, at present, I will remain a hobbiest.

Thanks user added image

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)
# 11 04-04-2007 , 06:42 PM
Subscriber
i model for the fun of it and also to have some things in my 3D portfolio for when i am older to kick start me in my career hopefully user added image i also have fully control over the program like someguy said which is what i like user added image

# 12 05-04-2007 , 07:14 AM
Acid44
another reason for doing 3d that my friend thought of. Its not for modeling but animating instead

you make a person, shoot him stab him blow him the f**k up whatever you want, it doesnt cost a thing other than time and you dont have to pay medical bills or lawers for injured or dead stuntmen

^my sisters boyfriends friend said this to me on ventrillo and i completely agreeuser added image