Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 05-12-2005 , 09:22 PM

proxy poly extrusion problem

Hello,

Apologies if this has already been covered - i had a good look through the forum and couldn't see anything concerning this problem.

Basically I am extruding a face several times in Polygon Proxy mode to make a finger. By about the third time that I extrude, the subdivision surface suddenly starts to be indented in the middle and by the time that I have finished extruding the finger, the base and the tip are fine, they are smooth and rounded, but the shaft of the finger is smaller and looks like a rectangle polygon with sharp edges.

I'm new to Maya, but I don't remember this happening before.

You can view images of the problem at:

https://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/arran_.../ph//my_photos

I have tried playing around with 'Keep Faces Together' and rebuilding the model with no success. My smooth Proxy Settings are on default. I have also reset Maya to it's default settings by deleting User Prefs in the Prefs folder.

What am I doing wrong?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Arran

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 05-12-2005 , 10:47 PM
Ok. Figured it out. It was just the display settings. As soon as I pressed 3, the problem was solved.

I can't believe how stupid I am.

# 3 05-12-2005 , 10:55 PM
just had the same problem with nurbs curves. but I´m using maya for over a year now. so don´t tell me you are stupid!

user added image

# 4 05-12-2005 , 11:31 PM
Yeah, Maya tends to make you feel like that.

Cheers!