Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 31 12-07-2007 , 11:42 PM
well I thought this was a modeling competition so I wasn't going to texture him.
I'm currently working on the hood but it's a pity because it will cover almost all his face.
Something like this:

PD: It's me user added image

Attached Images
# 32 13-07-2007 , 02:05 AM
ninja hood
erm... its cool but it covers his face :S and I worked a lot on it

Attached Thumbnails
# 33 13-07-2007 , 02:20 AM
yeah! this just keeps getting better and better! user added image

# 34 13-07-2007 , 07:09 AM
The Maya Mountain
Looking great!

Maybe you could have his other arm up tugging at the mask as if he's just about to cover his face, so you don't loose all the work you put into it. Just a thought. Definitely one of my faves of the comp so far!

# 35 13-07-2007 , 07:12 AM
This is definitely looking FANTASTIC!

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!
# 36 13-07-2007 , 07:37 AM
Subscriber
It kinda sucks that you've gotta cover up half of the face with the mask, but besides Mike's suggestion I dunno what you could do to fix it. A see-through material, maybe

Anyway, great work on the cloth once again. I'd love to see a wire of this thing. It's refreshing to see someone still rocking on polymodeling instead of resorting to sculpting on a difficult model.
Also, there's a grey bit on his left arm at the forearm, I'm not sure what it is.

Last edited by Funky Bunnies; 13-07-2007 at 07:40 AM.
# 37 14-07-2007 , 04:59 AM
ok I tried what mike sugested

Attached Thumbnails
# 38 14-07-2007 , 05:04 AM
I even tried with a background...xD
but I dont like it, maybe I've wasted my time with it user added image

Attached Thumbnails
# 39 14-07-2007 , 07:53 AM
The Maya Mountain
hmm, I guess I can see why you don't like it, but I'm wondering if it might just be because of the expression and maybe tweaking the angle of things or something. Like, maybe have his head tilted forward some with a bit more sinister look on his face, but in any case, I think you've done awesome work and you should, in the end, go with whichever you like best.

# 40 14-07-2007 , 09:12 AM
Great work man, This is looking really really good!

I would go with having his hand just on his face, looking as if he's either going to pull his mask on or put it on , if you get my meaning.

To me his face doesnt really have a good "ninja" feel to him, when he's without the mask as having the face exposed kinda takes away the ninja feel, just my opinion though!!

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 41 14-07-2007 , 10:04 AM
I really like your character. You've done amazing work with this model, especially with the clothing, and either way, mask on or off, it looks really great. However, my personal preference so far is with his mask on.

Perhaps if you decide to modify his facial expression as mentioned, I might change my mind.

TWO THUMBS UP FROM ME, GOOD JOB SO FAR!

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!
# 42 14-07-2007 , 10:38 AM
Subscriber
Yeah, I agree that it could be more dynamic in general, a slightly lower camera with a sharper camera angle and less sterile lines from the walls would help it out methinks. I think the background looks too small for the character.

I think the background is diverting a lot of attention. Clearly the character is the most important part, and a background that hasn't been created using the same care will only detriment the piece. I think you can mess around with the lighting and camera angle to make the background less distracting and the ninja's form more exaggerated.
(oh yeah, and I like him with the mask on a bit more, to be honest. at least not completely off as it is now)
Good luck, man. You've done a fantastic job so far user added image

# 43 15-07-2007 , 01:18 AM
WOW Thanks a lot for your feedback user added image

I've been working in this... trying a lot of tweaks... and suddenly it looks like better... I used quadratic decay lights.. so that there's not much light in the background... I'm try to explore a bit more this option. It's quite better than any other thing i've tried

I'm on it!

Attached Thumbnails
# 44 15-07-2007 , 03:49 AM
MUAHAHAHAHA

xD
MUDBOX == GOOOOOOD
look at thiss

Attached Thumbnails
# 45 15-07-2007 , 06:19 AM
Subscriber
it really is haha

be careful with the creasing, You've gotta be careful with triangles sometimes when taking them into sculpting packages.

PS - have you been max-ing recently???