Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 19-10-2007 , 12:02 AM

Polygon tutorial question HELP HELP

Hi,
I am very new to the Maya program. I have yet to creat anything besides a mess.
Well I met a guy who owns his own animation company through a friend of my wifes. He has offered to train me if I can complete this tutorial.
I am running into road blocks left and right.

The problem I am having is finding the tools and how to make two planes and place two seperate JPEGs into these planes.

Those are the main problems so far. I have found the create polygon tool and imported the jpeg into one plane, but the rest Im really stuck.

Can someone please go through this tutorial and show me where the tools are to achieve each step? or how to achieve each step?

If so, I will be greatly appreciative. I want to learn this program so bad, but right now it feels like Im climbing mount everest.

Here's the tutorial. thanks
https://www.thehobbitguy.com/tutorial...ing/index.html

p.s. I only have the Maya Personal Learning Edition.. not sure if that will be a problem... just thought Id mention it

the new guy
# 2 19-10-2007 , 01:17 AM
Jr.Who
Can you point out your exact problems and what version of Maya you have? user added image

# 3 19-10-2007 , 01:26 AM
Subscriber
Hi,
I looked at the tutorial and I could see your problem. The tutorial itself is fairly difficult for a newbie who does not know his way around maya ,also the tutorial did not explain how to insert the 2 planes and add a image on them.
The are plenty of tutorials online that will tell you how to make image planes.
Let me know if your still having issues.

Good Luck.

# 4 19-10-2007 , 01:27 AM
Oh yea..

Sorry.. that would have been better..

Right now.. this part of the tutorial.. after placing the 2 jpeg files into the sourceimage folder.. I cant go any further.

" 1) The next thing you're going to want to do is create 2 planes. One facing the front view and one facing the side view.

2) Create a material for each of your drawings and assign them to the appropriate plane.

3) Turn the transparency of the materials down to about .5,

4) then assign the 2 planes to a layer.

Assigning them to a layer will allow you to do 2 things...

1.) it will allow you to reference the planes so that you don't accidentally select them while you are modeling

2.) it will allow you to make them visible and invisible at the click of a button."

Thanks for ur help

the new guy
# 5 19-10-2007 , 01:31 AM

Originally posted by RockyMills_01
Hi,
I looked at the tutorial and I could see your problem. The tutorial itself is fairly difficult for a newbie who does not know his way around maya ,also the tutorial did not explain how to insert the 2 planes and add a image on them.
The are plenty of tutorials online that will tell you how to make image planes.
Let me know if your still having issues.

Good Luck.

Cool..

My wife thought of using a forum to help me learn.. GREAT idea.. glad I joined. Even tho I havent scratched the surface I can tell this site is gonna help me along tremendously.

If you can direct me to those tutorials that would be great. Im so new to this its like I can barely get around and find stuff.

Thanks for the help guys

the new guy
# 6 19-10-2007 , 01:34 AM
Jr.Who

Originally posted by solakali
Oh yea..

Sorry.. that would have been better..

Right now.. this part of the tutorial.. after placing the 2 jpeg files into the sourceimage folder.. I cant go any further.

" 1) The next thing you're going to want to do is create 2 planes. One facing the front view and one facing the side view.

2) Create a material for each of your drawings and assign them to the appropriate plane.

3) Turn the transparency of the materials down to about .5,

4) then assign the 2 planes to a layer.

1. Create some polygon planes, it’s as simple as that!

2. Go to your hypershade and create 2 lamberts and set the colors to the files

3. Don’t do this, just use X-Ray

4. Create a layer (bottom right of the screen), then select the planes, then right-click, and hit add selection

I’m guessing by your questions that you haven’t downloaded the free tuts on this site?

Also, the Help (F1) files will help you a lot.