Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 15-03-2006 , 06:25 AM

Mar/Apr Xander-0 Noob

I'm entering my first contest. I'll have to see how much time I have to work on this thing. Anyway, this is the basic ship idea. Something I've had for years (the sketch I mean. Its on graph paper, the scanner just did a number on it); I drew the orthographics from a perspective a friend did. I'm not entirely happy with the way it looks now, so I'm going to have to mod the shape a bit (I'm thinking about actually turning the thing around to fly the other direction - so it has a long tail...), but this is close enough for a basic idea. We'll see how things go from there.

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 15-03-2006 , 06:51 AM
well... I did this quick bit just to see how it looked before I started messing with it. Quite a bit worse then I had feared, actually. I also found at least one error in the original drawing (I've found that in a number of my old schematics, I'm occasionally off by one graph-paper unit). So..... shape mod time.

Attached Thumbnails
# 3 15-03-2006 , 07:40 AM
It is going to be flying 'backwards'. I think I'm also going to be making it more along the lines an unmanned drone, rather than what would seem to be a hman-piloted ship. That's mostly because of the shape its in. I like the shape, but it doesn't really lend itself to a cockpit. I'll see - I have a few ideas about what to do about it....

But anyways, here is what it looks like after first revisions (yes, I know that so far I've only been working on the vehicle aspect, but I really need to get the shape first, at least the basic....)

Attached Thumbnails
# 4 15-03-2006 , 03:17 PM
Good start Xander-0 - I definitely think that the 'flying backwards' concept will make your idea more interesting. The only area that I am not sure about is the uneven shape at the front of your model. Good luck in the challenge.
user added image

By the way, if you haven't already seen it, you might want to check out this japanese film called Returner:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...v=glance&n=130

Though you do not see them much, there are a couple of robot planes, i think near the end of the movie.

There aren't really any original ideas in this film, but if you are looking for something a little different than than the usual Hollywood action film, this is certainly worth renting.

Last edited by arran; 15-03-2006 at 03:44 PM.
# 5 16-03-2006 , 03:59 AM
actually, that uneven 'front' would end up being the back..... That part was orignally a nose cone. Effectively, the thing has a long tail, and short nose.

# 6 16-03-2006 , 08:38 AM
I think you could make the drone fly either way at this stage.
It'll be nice to see what it transforms into user added image

Examples of bTraffic - a traffic animation tool for Maya
bFlocking - a tool for Maya 8.5+ to generate flocking and swarming behaviours
Jan/Feb Challenge 2007 Entry and W.I.P
May/Jun Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Mar/Apr Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Jan/Feb Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Nov/Dec Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Sep/Oct Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Jul/Aug Challenge 2005 Entry
www.flash-fx.net
# 7 17-03-2006 , 05:24 AM
Quick update; I think I have the basic shape figured out. Now its a two part process - refining the shape of the vehicle mode, as well as building the robot. A couple rules I'm setting for myself for this thing - firstly, it have to be 'possible' (not necessarily in an engineering sense - but things have to telescope, and be connected. Everything has to have a joint for any move it makes). Second... I think I forgot what it was. Anyway, here's the basic shape (well cut in half - one half will be the start of the build for the vehicle, the other will be the start of the robot construction, on the inside.

Attached Thumbnails
# 8 25-03-2006 , 06:07 PM
Subscriber
hey xander, whats it going to tranform into?

A pint of example is worth a gallon of advice!!
# 9 27-03-2006 , 01:43 AM
..... it transforms into a robot.....

well, with wings. A bunch of the robot look will just be whatever comes to me as I make it. I have a number of ideas, but i just don't usually draw them. I'm a terrible freehander (somewhat, but I'm getting better). His legs are probably going to be really long. I'll probably have rough shape out soon of the robot out soon.

# 10 27-03-2006 , 07:43 AM
Been Busy... sorta. Anyway, I've mostly been working on the legs. Have the feet and legs at least partially blocked out. The top piece is what the ship blocking is at that point, while the lower part is the leg and foot. I haven't put any of the joint stuff I'll need later in yet, so nothing's really connected. Might have some more tomorrow, if school isn't too horrendous...

Attached Thumbnails
# 11 07-04-2006 , 10:06 PM
Subscriber
i'll be waiting for updates.

A pint of example is worth a gallon of advice!!