Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 46 13-01-2006 , 03:13 PM
Thx T1ck, user added image ya I agree its a bit dark..

# 47 14-01-2006 , 12:21 AM
new render added eyelash and earfur

Attached Thumbnails
# 48 14-01-2006 , 12:56 AM
adjusted the fur and the shape of the nose and lashes

Attached Thumbnails
# 49 14-01-2006 , 01:18 AM
Maybe less dense hair on the horns/top of head?

Live the life you love, love the life you live
# 50 14-01-2006 , 01:21 AM
yea maybe I'll render one out next with sparser fur
I adusted the samples on this and the filter.

Attached Thumbnails
# 51 14-01-2006 , 03:00 AM

# 52 14-01-2006 , 03:27 AM
i tweaked all fur settings and added whiskers lost the black hair.. gotta fix it

Attached Thumbnails
# 53 14-01-2006 , 04:15 AM
last update for today.. added the black fur in and tweaked some things.

Attached Thumbnails
# 54 14-01-2006 , 05:49 AM
ok i lied last one..

Attached Thumbnails
# 55 14-01-2006 , 11:27 AM
Subscriber
Yeaaaah mFreak it's going real looking with the fur. Though you choosed smthg pretty hard to reproduce , fur-speaking too, as this one is fading size & density according to head zone.

(About the displace, I would have kept it and modeled a lot of half LP spheres at each bulb almost to generate "displaced fur". Well, only some point of view.)

About the light , I just got one advise which could raise fidelity towards original model.

>> As you're using GI/FG, I would recommend dropping some simple plane, textured plain & pure white lambert. This for the floor, which is the one lighting your model from the bottom AND being the one bringing this little white reflection on the eye (I don't know what you used as HDRI -real 96 bits map- or did you set color gain lower? << wondering cause the eye reflection seems very weak). Then simply set it invisible in his mental ray overrides but keep it for GI and reflections.

Apart from that light concern, I simply got nothing more to say dude. It's freakily good to me :attn:

# 56 14-01-2006 , 12:36 PM
dude thats sweet i love it, although i preferred it with a bit less hair on the horn things but i dunno wiether it would have that much hair in real life or not, so if it would then ill shut upuser added image
love it, looks stupidly real

# 57 14-01-2006 , 12:38 PM
when i say less fur i mean what mc-fluery said earlier

# 58 14-01-2006 , 05:09 PM

Originally posted by Pyrus
Yeaaaah mFreak it's going real looking with the fur. Though you choosed smthg pretty hard to reproduce , fur-speaking too, as this one is fading size & density according to head zone.

(About the displace, I would have kept it and modeled a lot of half LP spheres at each bulb almost to generate "displaced fur". Well, only some point of view.)

About the light , I just got one advise which could raise fidelity towards original model.

>> As you're using GI/FG, I would recommend dropping some simple plane, textured plain & pure white lambert. This for the floor, which is the one lighting your model from the bottom AND being the one bringing this little white reflection on the eye (I don't know what you used as HDRI -real 96 bits map- or did you set color gain lower? << wondering cause the eye reflection seems very weak). Then simply set it invisible in his mental ray overrides but keep it for GI and reflections.

Apart from that light concern, I simply got nothing more to say dude. It's freakily good to me :attn:

Hehe Thanx and -- Great Advice user added image .. I have a floor plane already ( but its grey lambert.. ill switch it too white and see what happens) and I'm using FG with an HDRI. I can get a nice reflection on the eye.. I just toned it down.. Next one I do I'll add more of the HDRI reflect on it and adjust the gain.

Originally posted by jhubbard
when i say less fur i mean what mc-fluery said earlier

Yea.. I agree with you guys even though I'm happy with some of the results I'm getting. I did model spheres and then deformed/scaled them with fur in maya and thats whats used in this last one to help with the fur bumping and irregularity. I will add back a displacement and then maybe adust them and see what happens.. I notice in the original picture the giraffe has some bumps that stick out and are smooth, so I'll try and capture that effect as well.

Thanks for all the helpful comments guys :attn:

mayafreak3

# 59 14-01-2006 , 05:16 PM
dude there aint any chance of a tut on how all the different bits fit together cos ive seen/heard bout displacmet/normal maps, bump mapping but it all kinda seems to do the same thing so like how do you intergrate it all in, like even just a few screens showing the different bits seperatly and what they do would really help me cos i wonna add more detail ito my models but soo may confusing methods :headbang:
If you busy with yer animal thats fine just say cos i wouldnt wonna stop the progress,
cheeersuser added image
josh

# 60 14-01-2006 , 05:40 PM
jhubbard np I'll tell you what I do..mind you this may not be the best/most efficient way to do it.
First create your base model in maya and uv map it. Good UV's with no overlaps really make a difference. I use planar mapping or cylindrical for most UV's and then stich them together in the uv editor. Then export your object as an .obj file. Open up Z-Brush and set your document size to something like 1024/1024 and import it into Z-Brush. Draw your model on the canvas and switch to edit mode. Underneath the Tool>Morph Target dir-- Choose Store Morph Target do this before subdividing your model.

Attached Images