Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 24-02-2005 , 11:30 AM
Subscriber

Hawker Hurricane

I ain't used Maya for a while so I am bit rusty, but it's like riding a bike - it does come back to you user added image

Anyway, I am working on the model below and was wondering how to make the fuselage smoother. I have tried the smooth polys on selected polys but it don't quite work and I am trying to avoid subdiv's.

Anone got any ideas?

Attached Thumbnails

Tickety boo and ta ta for a bit...
Gazzamataz
https://www.gazzamataz.com
# 2 24-02-2005 , 12:16 PM
Try Edit Polygons -> Normals -> Soften/Harden -> options: angle 180 degrees

Great start btw.

Kari
- My Website
- My IMDB

Do a lot, Fail a lot and Learn a lot!
# 3 28-02-2005 , 06:37 PM
Subscriber
Seems like you could just convert to sub-d and not have to worry about converting the normals? Thats what I do.

Anyways, whats a good way to model a prop? I too am currently building a model of a radio controlled model Yak-54 and cannot get the prop to look good.

"Please excuse the crudity of this model, I didn’t have time to build it to scale or to paint it"
:: Dr. Emmett Brown
# 4 03-03-2005 , 09:31 PM
Subscriber

Yak-54?

I have never heard of a Yak-54 is it a piston-engined plane? I know of a Yak-1, Yak-3, Yak-7 and a Yak-9 from WWII but 54?

Anyway m8 the prop was done using polys. I create a polygon and then mould it into the rough shape of a propeller blade. Then I apply a twist deformer and smooth it - don't look too bad.

For the screw, this is done with NURBS using a revolve on a curve for the basic shape. I then used more NURBS to cut holes for the bald to go into and capped the end of the screw.

Does that make sense? I'll post some snaps if you want and an update on the plane tommorrow since I'll be working on it all day user added image

BTW, nice to hear from you again K Brown and I like your Peregrin Falcon user added image

Gazzamataz
# 5 04-03-2005 , 12:15 PM
Subscriber
Yes that makes sense. Thanks. I'll ping you with any issues.

The Yak-54 is a Russian aerobatics plane much like the Sukhoi.

I was going to upload a picture of the plane I'm modeling but I got a new router and for some reason cannot post images to this forum since doing so. I'll look into that and post or post one from another network.

"Please excuse the crudity of this model, I didn’t have time to build it to scale or to paint it"
:: Dr. Emmett Brown

Last edited by sjurick; 04-03-2005 at 12:19 PM.
# 6 04-03-2005 , 06:02 PM
Subscriber
Well been bashing away at Maya all day today and this is how far I have got… Mind you it is all coming back to me… my inability with Maya that is user added image

Attached Thumbnails

Gazzamataz
# 7 04-03-2005 , 06:06 PM
Subscriber
Nice work so far, are you going to texture this?

Watch Space Wars at www.3dden.co.uk now!

My pin number is XXXX
# 8 04-03-2005 , 07:09 PM
Subscriber
Thanx m8!

I most definately am going to texture this baby, that's why am doing it mostly with polys - so I can UV map it and paint it in 79 Squadron colours. 79 Squadron served at Biggin Hill during the Battle of Britain, it's my home townuser added image

Gazzamataz

Last edited by gazzamataz; 05-03-2005 at 10:21 AM.
# 9 22-07-2007 , 12:24 PM
Subscriber
Well after a very long break (over a year) this model just has to be finished so I started back on it today.

Added a few shaders, machine guns holes, wing lights, ailerons, flaps and I have tarted up the under carriages and wheels.

I am still not quite sure how to tackle the rough polygons. I have experimented with smoothing but ain't got the results that I want.

I am looking at buying the Spitfire DVD - it might teach me a few things.

Attached Thumbnails

Gazzamataz