Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 61 09-09-2009 , 09:10 PM
Coldwave:
Thanks mate, I'm quite happy how it's going so far!

Stwert:

Glad you didn't abbreviate, haha, much appreciated!

I was trying to make it an alternative version, rather than actually based on an insect, I'd looked at loads of references of insect and was sort of trying to get a mix/variation on one, my attempt at being original...haha.
The muscles on the legs I'd been thinking will come from inside the parts that the legs actually join to, which are bonier parts (at least that's the plan at the moment...lol) and stretch up, pretty much the way you said, just starting at a different point, will have to give it some more thought and a little bit more experimentation!

Cheers for the comments people!

# 62 09-09-2009 , 09:16 PM
EduSciVis-er

Originally posted by hammer.horror
i might be wrong but i thought quadrupeds generally had deep barrel chests rather than the flatter shallower chest we bipeds have.... correct me if i'm wrong.

...also i agree, not sure i like the abs under the abdomen.

Well, for one, it's not exactly a quadruped, though I know what you mean. Actually, given the arm anatomy, I think this works better with a bipedal chest than a bigger chest like on horses and such.

# 63 09-09-2009 , 09:35 PM
Well really he's not a biped or a quadruped, he's a mutant thingy! lol!

This is what gave me the idea to continue the abs down along the body, though I had also thought of smoothing them and turning them into a kind of shell, not sure yet, it is still a wip after all!

Attached Thumbnails
# 64 09-09-2009 , 09:47 PM
Level 32 pachyderm
I like the abs down the body but at the moment they look a little lost, there's little muscle around them so they look out of place

# 65 09-09-2009 , 09:50 PM
Cheers Elephantinc,

I'm doing some detailing around them at the moment so hopefully they'll look a little less lost soon!

# 66 09-09-2009 , 11:01 PM
Not done the detailing around the abs yet, decided I didn't like what I'd started so moved onto the legs.

Attached Thumbnails
# 67 09-09-2009 , 11:55 PM
Subscriber
Im really liking this apart from one thing - the smile (irronic as its his name) - I feel its giving it a silly factor which is spoiling it for me alittle. Its too happy - maybe a evil smile would work - or maybe its just me...

So real nice details going on though - makes me worried what you might be like in the next comp.

# 68 10-09-2009 , 12:38 AM
Thanks Tweety,

I'll have a look at making the smile a little less silly and a little more evil, not too sure how I could change it at this stage but you never know.

Not sure if I'll be entering this challenge, got some ideas but then again I've got a few other ideas that I'd also like to do so it's just a case of whether I can make myself wait to try those out!

Got some more detailing done on the back end, similar to what I did before the file crash episode, just got to blend them into the rest of the body a bit and then add whatever else is needed, and whatever else I come up with.

Attached Thumbnails
# 69 10-09-2009 , 03:30 PM
Done a quick normal map tester to see if everythings working out, seems ok, some little adjustments but nothing too bad!

Attached Thumbnails
# 70 10-09-2009 , 05:29 PM
As Zbrushiac sounds stupid!
Hey, looks good... the normal map seems to have worked out pretty well. And the sculpt is looking good. But i agree about the underside of the critter not working so well. Insects/arachnids have an exoskeleton, so you would not see any muscles at all. But rather hardened plate, like armor. As in the image you posted. But as this is a cross between a humanoid critter and insect type critter you should be able to get away with some human elements. But, I think this takes from the believability..... even though a critter this is pretty unbelievable as is user added image

The only other issue you might have (on a design basis) is the brain. The rest of his body seems (somewhat) armored, however, his brain, probably his most vital organ is exposed.
Maybe if you brought up the head, to more of a point, with a big armored head-cap/bone configuration. This will help to bring the design together.

But.... that's probably preference... you know what you want, and what you like.

Nice work!

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Your weapons are no match for ours! People of Mars, surrender!"
"Um, this isn't Mars. This is Earth."
"Earth? Earth-with-nuclear-weapons Earth?"
"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"
# 71 10-09-2009 , 05:48 PM
Cheers Steve!

Yeah, had been back and forwards thinking about the abs underneath, but in the end I think I'll leave it as is, I like the way they look and as it's not a design that's really important I don't want to get stuck on this character for months.

The brain and the abs actually came from an idea that involved it in a game (not that it's actually designed for that)
They would be the two points on him you would get the most damage if managed to hit, the brain as he would mostly be facing you, so harder to get him there, and the underside, for the same reason.

But as I said, it was only just a thought that influenced me when designing him, so maybe I'll change him again in the future.

As he was just a mesh for a little bit of Z practice I'm happy he's come as far as he has!

# 72 10-09-2009 , 09:50 PM
I have some thoughts on the colour scheme for the texturing, but I was wondering if anyone else had any ideas what colours he might look cool with?

I'm think as the back part is like a shell, browns, maybe some green in there, but not too sure about the front half yet. It'll have to compliment the back obviously but any ideas at all are welcome!

# 73 11-09-2009 , 02:44 AM
Made a start on the texturing, as I'm pretty much done with the detailing now anyway, and the backend definitely won't be being changed any more so started there.

Will be doing some more to it in PS after the poly paint anyway so colour darkness etc will be adjusted before going back into Maya.

Attached Thumbnails
# 74 11-09-2009 , 01:54 PM
Did a quick tester to see if the texture and the normal map are looking ok together in Maya, and all is still well.
Have finished the backend for now and going to move on to the rest of the body.

Attached Thumbnails
# 75 11-09-2009 , 05:26 PM
As Zbrushiac sounds stupid!
Hey, looks really good. The texturing is turning out nicely. At the mo, it looks a bit like dirt, and ground, but still looks good. Maybe if you added some darker patches, then contrast them with some almost yellow highlights. Like in the image you posted of a real insect.

I think once you get some specular on there, it will really look cool.

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Your weapons are no match for ours! People of Mars, surrender!"
"Um, this isn't Mars. This is Earth."
"Earth? Earth-with-nuclear-weapons Earth?"
"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"