Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 19-09-2002 , 10:12 AM

Beveling (Help needed!)

Hey Guys!

I have a little bit of a problem ...

I just created a polygon model, which I combined to a polygon torus. Now I´m trying to bevel the model (By selecting the edges I want beveled) and actually applying the bevel, to my surprise it doesn´t do a thing.

I already Deleted History, and it even appears in the Channel Editor (PolyBevel 1) But it doesn´t show the results.

Outliner shows this:
Code:

persp
front
side 

[-]      o   pCube1
[-]      |__o  polySurface3
          |    |__o  transform3
          |__o  transform1
             defaultLight
             polySurface8
             polySurface7
[-]      o   pCube2
[-]      |__o   polySurface3
         |     |__o  transform3
         |__o   transform1
             polySurface10
             pSphere1
             pSphere2
             pSphere3
[-]       o   defaultLightSet
           |__o   defaultLightShape
             defaultObjectSet 
polySurface8 and 7 are somewhat of a cube each .. and they are both on a layer non-grouped nor parented.

the transform nodes I suppose are the manipulator handles I had to drag around while creating the model.

polySurface10 is the one I want to bevel. She´s on a layer on her own. She´s combined with a torus polygon.

The three Spheres have history deleted .. and are on their own layer (They are not parented nor grouped for the moment as you can see)

I need some help. Thanks!

Last edited by adldesigner; 19-09-2002 at 10:16 AM.
# 2 19-09-2002 , 10:14 AM
Argghh ... friskish html .. well .. I guess you can guesstimate a bit looking at that "outliner" .. arghh ... it looked so perfect. LOl

**EDITED** Great I fixed it! ... The outliner problem here .. not the bevel problem .. lol

Last edited by adldesigner; 19-09-2002 at 10:17 AM.
# 3 19-09-2002 , 12:36 PM
Argghh ... just checked ths Script Editor.. I have a manifolded vertex (where the f*ck? .. i don´t know) .. darn .. Hate when that happens ..

Anyone had some trouble like that? What can i do to solve it? I suppose it´s some face´s normal which must be backwards .. but i don´t see it. Or i may be wrong and have the wrong idea .. Anyone up for some good samaritan roleplaying?

Thanks!

# 4 19-09-2002 , 03:57 PM
Sh*t ... i get the feeling I´m talking to myself here ..

# 5 19-09-2002 , 05:25 PM
The Maya Mountain
You can go to Polygons > Cleanup. In the options it'll fix non-manifold vertices, but usually that jut means splitting the vertex. But at least it'll tell you which one it is.

# 6 19-09-2002 , 06:16 PM
Hmm .. didn´t think of that one ..

Thank you very much .. y rebuilded anyway the model (I have trouble with instancing and stitching later so i did the old-fashion way .. lol -selecting each of the faces)

Will have it mind when building other models! Thanks

# 7 19-09-2002 , 06:18 PM
By the way .. What does "non-manifold" mean?
I´m curious to know what made me so mad the last 6 hours or so ..

Lol

Another thing i noticed was .. it´s better to bevel edge by edge than the model at once (more control and less "non-manifold this .. vertexs that blablabla")