Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 04-03-2006 , 12:33 AM
Subscriber

DAR

I've been inspired to TRY repeat and repeat again.., TRY this thing called DAR. It looks JAL, I was thinking soviet but obviously I'm very wrong there, probably Boeing and another European company, I don't yet know it's history or have any detailed specs or pictures but.., here goes. I'll start with a poly cube and image planes.

Attached Images

take it easy and life will be easy
# 2 04-03-2006 , 02:14 AM
Subscriber
any advice...? I'm about to plunge into the world of polys and exruding.., are he plans set properly?

Attached Images

# 3 04-03-2006 , 04:38 AM
well its better if you match up your image in phtotshop but if they do match up in maya then go ahead. i cant wait to see how this turns out.user added image

# 4 04-03-2006 , 04:57 AM
Subscriber
I used nurbs instead. now I'm thinking how to do the wings, I've tried extruding but run into problems?? any clues.

so far...

Attached Thumbnails

# 5 04-03-2006 , 10:53 AM
Subscriber
looks like a good start to me. the nose looks a bit lumpy so it may need to be smoothed out bit. as for the wings i would start out with a poly plane then extrude the edges to get the basic shape.but i am a noobie to this so dont hold me to it.
the aircraft itself looks like a boeing experiment at a supersonic aircraft im not sure or it could be the russian replacement to there version of concorde lol.not sure really nice looking thing though

# 6 04-03-2006 , 04:17 PM
Subscriber
bumpy, do you mean the cockpit area, i mean do you recognize the cockpit area but still think that the area is bumpy or you don't recognize the cockpit area at all and it just looks like a bunch of bumps??

thanksuser added image

# 7 04-03-2006 , 04:34 PM
If you try doing the wings in nurbs, you will be at if for a long time . . . better off using that time to learn polys . . . been there, done that . . . :headbang:

"The Sage as an Astronomer: If you still see the stars as something above you, you lack the eye of knowledge." Friedrich Nietzsche
# 8 04-03-2006 , 05:13 PM
Subscriber
the cockpit area seems not flow into the rest of the fuselage the seems to have a lil ridge, i think its where the windows are meant to be.
it is reconisable just needs a bit of work to get it spot on.

# 9 04-03-2006 , 05:41 PM
Subscriber
yea, i exruded the faces ect to come yp with this. just a block but is late cany sleep. Hard to see imsge I might have to look for more info.

I'll try and get the cockpit right, ..? soft sculpture?? CVs?

anyway heres some more, any advice very welcome.

# 10 04-03-2006 , 05:43 PM
Subscriber
jesus, forgot the picture, head sleepy??

Attached Images

# 11 04-03-2006 , 06:00 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Hey Mirek

Interesting looking plane.

As far as the building of it goes, with nurbs you are making a rod for your own back I think, as they are fiddly, and when you come to texture it....

My suggestion is to poly cube it very lo to get a basic shape. Then you have the choice to go to subds or smooth proxy. But by keeping it a low poly you can then work away the hard edges like in a sculpture. Neat looking plane though

Cheers
Jay

# 12 04-03-2006 , 06:08 PM
Subscriber
looking good for the basic wing shape.works well.
just play around with the cv to get a shape ur happy with on the fuselage
keep it up

# 13 05-03-2006 , 12:37 AM
Subscriber
of course many thanks guys. Jay 'll redo the body in polys. The wings are polys, at spakooggie's suggestion. Just looked at mikes 'estrude tool' tut. makes life easier understanding the 'split poly tool.'

back to the drawing board. Should i import the jpegs on the image plans into maya projects or is it OK to leave them in the 'textures libary' on my other drive (d) where they live.

thanks again,

# 14 05-03-2006 , 11:40 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Cool

You can leave the images where they are as once you save Maya will 'reference' them to the source folder anyway in this case your D drive. Theres no need to worry about placing them here there and everywhere

Cheers for now

Jay

# 15 05-03-2006 , 12:26 PM
Subscriber
thanks mate, good to have this help. It's a big programuser added image user added image

I didn't get to do the body today. I did some filming last night and went shopping for a wacom today with the money.
I've been editing the footage (a 15 year old Liza Menely) today because there's more money coming from that too, Uni tomorrow morning and Maya in the afternoon,
catch yuuser added image