Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 21-06-2004 , 06:51 PM

friction PP

I'm trying to create a small avalance of sand, and from my research I've noticed that it has a bit of a rolling feel to it where the sand particles in the front of the "wave" that are in contact with the main surface tend to slow down and be overtaken by the sand right behind it. That sand then hits the main surface, begins to slow down, and is overtaken by the sand behind it... and so on.

My attempts to re-create this have failed so far. What I'd like to do is creat a friction PP attribute (or something like it). I also tried a conservePP, using velocity, using acceleration, and mass. Nothing has worked. The problem is, I can't figure out how to connect it.

If anyone has any ideas, that's be super.

Thanks,
-dann

# 2 22-06-2004 , 10:30 AM
surely a PP array attribute will do it and then use that to control the velocity of the particle? You wont need to connect it to anything you can just use it in your particle expression as normal.

Alan

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 3 22-06-2004 , 04:09 PM
I wish I understood what you said, but I don't know how to set it up. I tried creating a PP atribute, but an attribute connected to nothing does nothing.

# 4 22-06-2004 , 05:29 PM
of course it doesnt user added image you need to then factor that value into your final velocty for the particle. so say you create PP array called friction you expression might be:

velocity = (speed * friction) / 10;

That will connect it up.

Alan

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB