Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 31 06-01-2007 , 04:38 PM
Subscriber
I've decided to go back and redo the handles and pedals, and Im redoing the wing struts too as these were all very bland in terms of concept/detail/style. I've also deleted the rear booster as up til now i wasnt sure how represent it.

So far at the moment I'm at around 6k polys (limit 10k) without the rear boosters, I reckon after the remodelling I can get it further down, and get more detail in at the same time. (The hand/foot controls were a touch poly heavy for what they actually were).

Progress later tonight, hopefully this project is going to start coming together over the next few modelling sessions.

# 32 06-01-2007 , 06:11 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by petrol
I'm at Escape Studios in London, just started a few days ago. It's for 3 months and its a 'Comprehensive' course which basically takes you to an intermediate level with Maya across the pipeline in your chosen field - in my case game art (modelling, texturing, rigging, animation etc). Theres 3 main comprehensive courses: Maya Comp for Games, Maya Comp for VFX, and Maya Comp for Characters all of which are £8,500. They also do a bunch of other courses.

It seems pricey considering the short duration, but its a highly acclaimed training center so you get what you pay for. So far the training has been intense. I've learnt more solid knowledge in 4 days than I thought was possible. user added image Have a look! www.escapestudios.co.uk

That's weird, I was going to say I've been looking there! It looks like a great place, especially with their links with Rare. So wait, after 4 days of training you could model that racer? If so I guess I don't need to ask how good it is

Once I've finished my A2 levels I might save up and get some training instead of going to uni, so it's really cool that you actually go there!

So what other projects have they given you?

# 33 06-01-2007 , 11:04 PM
Subscriber
Nah this is nothing to do with Escape, I started this project a couple of months ago to get myself some practice before i went, so actually everything you've seen has been what i've learnt from this site - mainly just from the free dog tutorial, and Mike McKinley's book.

There is no 'project' work for the first 6 weeks, so ask again later! At the moment, it's just learn learn learn. It's heavy going, but also you feel a bit like neo learning kung fu. Its cool.

# 34 07-01-2007 , 12:36 PM
Subscriber

Nah this is nothing to do with Escape, I started this project a couple of months ago to get myself some practice before i went, so actually everything you've seen has been what i've learnt from this site - mainly just from the free dog tutorial, and Mike McKinley's book.

There is no 'project' work for the first 6 weeks, so ask again later! At the moment, it's just learn learn learn. It's heavy going, but also you feel a bit like neo learning kung fu. Its cool.

Ah cool. Well Kung Fu is always handy to know :p

# 35 07-01-2007 , 11:48 PM
Subscriber
I've quickly knocked up some new handles as a test to see what they would look like with the horizontal grips (as the pod racer / speeder bikes are) and I like it! I'll go back and redo them anyway as they are currently higher in polys than i would like, and I'll add some wires and other mechanical bits while I'm at it. If anyone has any thoughts, do let me know. Next week I'm going to town on this baby.

Attached Thumbnails
# 36 09-01-2007 , 02:07 PM
Subscriber
I like the new handles, but they could do with being beefed up a bit to make them look more durable

# 37 09-01-2007 , 05:39 PM
Subscriber
Yep, I agree mate. When I redo them I'll make sure they're in good proportion. Always good to get opinions user added image

# 38 10-01-2007 , 10:30 AM
Subscriber

Yep, I agree mate. When I redo them I'll make sure they're in good proportion. Always good to get opinions user added image

Cool. I'm liking the detail on the pedals, by the way

# 39 10-01-2007 , 02:30 PM
I'm Exited to see how this turns out user added image !
Are you going to texture it ?

and btw - Great job so far

(__/)
(='.'=) This is bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination
# 40 10-01-2007 , 05:31 PM
Subscriber
ZeroAlarm - Thanks! I'm still going to redo them but I'll see what I can do.

Grev_Mivlos - Cheers mate, I'm still kinda new really but I'm hoping it comes together. Yes, definately going to be texturing this, and I'm actually hoping that won't be too far away now as I'm gonna really get sh*t done this weekend. I promise some big changes soon user added image

# 41 10-01-2007 , 07:32 PM
Subscriber
Yea i want to see this bad boy textured. I used to be a fan of high poly but im really becomming more impressed with low poly models so ive been watching this thread. Anways it looks good so far, keep up the work

# 42 11-01-2007 , 05:27 AM
Very nice then user added image

my school is closed on Friday due to ehm.. something :S...

so ill be working today, Friday and Saturday... But ill be back on Sunday and expect changes. Or else....
haha

btw, Ive' been thinking a lot about focusing more on analog design, and i bought an Digitizer. Wacom Graphire4.

Does anyone know where to find some good tuts for photoshop about coloring, and texturing 2D?

(__/)
# 43 11-01-2007 , 05:29 AM
Have a look at the new free tutorial by kurt, thats drawing in photoshop and colouring.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 44 11-01-2007 , 05:34 AM
oh i did.

that's why i got greedy. It's a great recommendable tutorial !!

(__/)
# 45 12-01-2007 , 04:04 AM
Subscriber

Originally posted by Grev_Mivlos
Very nice then user added image

my school is closed on Friday due to ehm.. something :S...

so ill be working today, Friday and Saturday... But ill be back on Sunday and expect changes. Or else....
haha

btw, Ive' been thinking a lot about focusing more on analog design, and i bought an Digitizer. Wacom Graphire4.

Does anyone know where to find some good tuts for photoshop about coloring, and texturing 2D?

Ha I'm saving up for a Graphire4. I want one in white user added image
How does it handle?