Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 12-11-2012 , 03:32 PM

Problems with scaling and rotating

So, I am very new to Maya, but I still have to do some pretty hard things in it... And I also made already a lot of problems in it.

I made a human character in Blender, which I imported to Maya. I also imported an already finished rig into maya, and edited the skeleton so that it fits the mesh, I also scaled the mesh to the skeleton. After that I Smooth Binded it and edited the weight paints. Now I played the animation, which was also already added, but the skeleton went standing in a really weird pose, and the mesh was scaled down to its first, scaled down, version. Well, I understand I moved some joints, and then in the animation they make that weird pose, but if I change them again, the skeleton doesn't change too when I play the animation. How can I make the skeleton and mesh stay the same, when I play the animation? I also have to rotate some joints, but how do I do that after weight painting everything?

I also have another another question; When I had my character finished in Blender, it had an emitter UV, and specular UV, but when I rendered it in Maya, they didn't appear. How can I add them in Maya?

Sorry for this maybe noobie questions, but I really need help, because this is for a important school project...

# 2 25-12-2012 , 08:17 AM

Response

Hey,

I have never really imported other models or used blender but here is what I learned from school about rigging and using bones.

You should never scale your bones it messes with there internal orientation.

Also from the sound of it, it sounded as if you were taking the skelleton from a different model that had animation of it already and trying to put it on your existing model. This would be difficult to do as the reasons stated above.

You also mentioned rotating some orients after you have bound your object and at this you are at a wall swing that when you bind your object to the model it is bound. You may be able to unhindered it but I have never had any success with that.

My advice to you is to recreate your on skeleton. And rig it custom to your model and animate it.
Yes I know it's lots of work to do but I have found when it comes to rigging there are no shortcuts. Either do it right, make sure everything is correct or you will ending up doing it again and again.

I learned that the hard way.

I hope others have better more specific advice but from my experience it sounds like what you want to do wont work because the orientations and scale numbers were men's for a different model.

# 3 31-12-2012 , 12:47 PM
Thank you for the reply. In the end I've managed it. I scaled the model in Blender, exported it and imported it into Maya. After that I imported also the skeleton and deleted the added animations. Then I changed the skeleton and made the weight paint. After that I imported the animations again.

Now it works in the game again...
But thanks again for the reply, it's kind of hard to find the problem if there are no teachers who can help me...