Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 61 03-11-2005 , 01:07 PM

Originally posted by Pure_Morning
dont you find it boring to go through the WIPS and see car after car after car after gun after gun after naked chick after naked chick after scifi mech after scifi mech.. you get the idea. I just want to see people branching out more and pushing themselves but also doing stuff that hasn't been seen before especially on these boards!

One of my ideas for Mike was to base the challenge around animals for example. So you could do a photoreal tiger or a parrot or whichever animal you like. That could progress to doing an environment for your animal e.g a dusty plain or a tree top. That would give people that want to do environments a good chance to do a nice matte painting etc.

:attn:
A

It's ok, man. I know what you are talking about. i know it's boring see the same kind of stuff all the time you go to a wip. As I said before, I have nothing against different things, and in fact I'm anxious to do something from this nature. What I'm trying to say here is that to you, who have been working with 3D for years, it's a pain see the wips and see women there. But to me, as a novice, it's a new thing. I had hard times to model my half naked woman in a reasonable way, and the task was very useful. But I know now is time to change focus. If you read my posts on this thread again, you'll see I'm not defending a new challenge to model the same stuff. I want new things too. Like unusual creatures, war vehicles or realistic animals. All are great ideas, and I will have a great time with any of them.

# 62 03-11-2005 , 02:10 PM
Subscriber
HERE HEREuser added image

# 63 03-11-2005 , 02:14 PM
I'm not getting angry about it I just want to push things in a slightly different direction. The thing is that if you want to work in this industry making naked women and spaceships are two things not to do... seriously. As you said yourself it's all been done... to death user added image

A

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB

# 64 03-11-2005 , 02:57 PM

The thing is that if you want to work in this industry making naked women and spaceships are two things not to do... seriously. As you said yourself it's all been done... to death user added image

These are wise words. By the way, what's most required of a industry professional today? I mean, for a novice, like me,what's the best thing to learn? Modeling? Animating? Texturing? All of this? How is the movies industry? Sorry for bugging you with this, but since discussion came this way, is good to take advantage of it! user added image

# 65 03-11-2005 , 03:03 PM
I have no problem with creating realistic things, or sci-fi imaginative creatures. I just figured the next contest would focus on something other than modeling, like the August contest that focused on lighting and atmosphere. Every contest will focus on a new area of 3D creation.

# 66 03-11-2005 , 03:16 PM
listen to Pure.. he know whats hes talking about as far as seeing everything over and over again...

For the most part getting a job in the field really depends on what you want to do. Im a model and texture guy first so i spend most of my time doing just that.. But i do try and make sure I have a good understanding of most of the other parts of 3d like rigging animation incase I get a project that deals with those aspects.

For "most" young 3D artists when starting out you will get hired by smaller companies that will want you to be able to wear a few different hats at the same time not paying you well =).

Once you get experience under your belt and your work starts to reach the higher level of look/quality and productivity. You can start applying to some of the bigger companys out there. The bigger companys are where most of the time you will not be doing a lot of differnt things more just what you where hired to do, say modeling and texturing 90 percent of your time.

Hope that helps

I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination, knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world. (Albert Einstein)

https://www.artstation.com/kurtb

# 67 03-11-2005 , 03:25 PM

Originally posted by THX1138
I personally feel that if you cant finish a entry by deadline, don't enter it. Why enter something and submit it half finished? It doesn't make any sence. It by no means makes me personally mad at anyone. Of course thats just my own opinion on it, no offence. I think you took what I mentioned to legolas_hv a little too serious. My apologies to you if you did.

I'm sure you could submit unfinished work. Just because it isn't finished, dosn't mean it's isn't capable of winning. I've seen some half done work that i think is better than some finished work.

Yeah, but no but yeah but no....

# 68 03-11-2005 , 03:40 PM
Kurt's right that's probably the best way into the industry. However it is possible to get into the larger companies straight off but a huge amount of luck is required!! I went stright from uni into this job and never looked back, but I was lucky! my CV was seen by the right people at the right time. Most people start in 1 of 3 areas:

1. running
2. tracking
3. Render Support

None of which are fun, but they give you a good intro to what it's like to work here (well the last 2 do). My advice is always the same to anyone when they are looking for work: concentrate on what you're good at. if you're an animator then don't ruin your animation by trying to light and texture it (unless you're also good at those things!) and if you are a techy person don't try and keyframe animate something as it will look crappy. Use your strengths and don't highlight your weaknesses!!

user added image
A

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB

# 69 03-11-2005 , 03:45 PM
Looking foward to the next contest as well :attn:

I'm learning so much from these contests. Its really nice you guys run these. Great incentive with the prizes and you get to build your portfolio.. if you don't already have one.. to boot.

Big Ups Simply3DWorld Team!

# 70 03-11-2005 , 03:55 PM
Many thanks to Kurt and Alan for advices. :attn: I'll keep them in mind.

# 71 03-11-2005 , 04:03 PM
The Maya Mountain
it probably depends on which industry you're wanting to get in... games? We LIKE the big robots and super heroes, sci-fi vehicles, guns, monsters, etc. on a reel. Just so long as they are original (ie... not ANOTHER X-Wing...).

After all, in games, more often then not, that's the stuff we're making. user added image

New challenge should go up soon.

# 72 03-11-2005 , 04:09 PM
This is a personal opnion but I would like to go for something biomecanic

Cause in this last competition I'd felt... I'm still feeling that before I loose for any other better artist I lost for Zbrush already( amazing tool)
So decide to have one. (maybe in this weekend)
And I would like to use it for the next challenge.

But because of the Christmas I belive will be littler dificult anyway.

Maybe because of Christmas SimplySite could make one "competion" that any participant could get a priceuser added image

# 73 03-11-2005 , 04:15 PM

guys the only problem with have sci fi fantasy stuff is that it can allow people to be lazy. Think about it if you had to model something real e.g. a pair of headphones you can't just "make it up" and then tell people "oh I meant it to be like that!". I'd like to see people really pushing themselves to make stuff look real and truly follow a design. Dont get lazy on your stuff, really pull out the stops. I've noticed that the quality of the last two challenges has been awesome (much much higher than it used to be!) so well done to everyone taking part! user added image

user added image
A

I just wanted to comment on this. If being a good artist is meeting your intentions exactly as you set out to do things, then this might be the case. I think that many insights into a design can emerge in the process of creating one's art and deviations from your original design can often lead to more interesting designs. It is important to have sketches and initial thoughts about your design, don't get me wrong. As far as laziness goes well I've seen plenty of well drawn fantasy creatures that are recreated in 3d down to the last fine detail, so I don't think its specifically Sci-Fi/Fantasy content that makes one be lazy. And I've scene a ton of crappy shit recreated from sketches to the last fine detail exact. The adherence to detail and initial intent does not always = good work. Its the process you use to create the final artwork that matters. Is making a decision to do something different to your initial design halfway through a project a bad thing?? Is that being lazy? It might be.. but it might also give you a better final result. Im one that thinks the aesthetic value of art resides in the artwork itself.

anti-intentionalist rant ends... hehe

mayafreak3

# 74 03-11-2005 , 04:42 PM

I'm not getting angry about it I just want to push things in a slightly different direction. The thing is that if you want to work in this industry making naked women and spaceships are two things not to do... seriously. As you said yourself it's all been done... to death user added image

A

I agree on this. If you want your work to stand out.. it needs to be unique and not just gargoyle number 37892 in the ever growing list of "done to death" gargoyles.... kinda like what my last design turned into.

I hope the next challenge pushes us to do something different as well. user added image

mayafreak3

Last edited by mayafreak3; 03-11-2005 at 04:45 PM.

# 75 03-11-2005 , 05:31 PM
Subscriber
is Zbrush worth buying? i mean is it better or easier than adobe?