Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 15-06-2007 , 06:15 AM

Upgrading Laptop?

is it possible to upgrade a dell laptop's video card and procesor

# 2 15-06-2007 , 11:14 AM
Subscriber
Anything is possible, but practical, i wouldn't say so....upgrading any laptop is more of a hassle, than if you were to just buy a new one. You're better off spending the extra dough for a new one you can personalize.

# 3 15-06-2007 , 05:55 PM
Depends which one to be honest.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 4 16-06-2007 , 06:02 PM
I'm very certain that laptops can't be upgraded since most of them have the cpu and gpu soldered onto the mainboard.

C. P. U. Its not a big processor... Its a series of pipes!
# 5 16-06-2007 , 06:06 PM
Nah, depending on the laptop you can, mine for example will let you upgrage the processor, graphics, RAM, tells you how to in the instructions

# 6 17-06-2007 , 01:00 AM
just get one of these mate \/

https://www.dell.com/html/global/topics/gaming/en/us/us/dhs/systems-notebook.html

gimme.
# 7 17-06-2007 , 11:10 AM
Thats what Ive got lol.

the M1710.

Your right though Architect a lot of them are soldered in.

# 8 17-06-2007 , 02:36 PM
After I saw some pics describing the process of upgrading the cpu in a Dell M1710, I can't help but wonder why is everone praising it. I'm sure its performs pretty well, but the variant of the Core 2 that Dell uses doesn't even have a intergrated heatsink and the cpu socket doesn't even have its own load plate. Could you really trust this setup?

# 9 17-06-2007 , 04:40 PM

Originally posted by The Architect
After I saw some pics describing the process of upgrading the cpu in a Dell M1710, I can't help but wonder why is everone praising it. I'm sure its performs pretty well, but the variant of the Core 2 that Dell uses doesn't even have a intergrated heatsink and the cpu socket doesn't even have its own load plate. Could you really trust this setup?

One word, after using one heavily for a number of months, day in and day out, yes.

Ive never had a problem with it (running batch renders at 100% on both cores for about a week), no probs.

I doubt that its been thrown together without testing and thought, and i'm sure that the people that designed the CPU/Socket are a bit more experianced at CPU, and chipset desing than us mere mortals

Last edited by gster123; 17-06-2007 at 04:42 PM.
# 10 17-06-2007 , 06:44 PM
gster123 > 'I doubt that its been thrown together without testing and thought, and i'm sure that the people that designed the CPU/Socket are a bit more experianced at CPU, and chipset desing than us mere mortals'

I'm no expert on these matters but what I do know is that laptops have a tendency to break really easily.

A friend who gave me a old P3 laptop that didn't work and when I opened it up, the chip (without intergrated heatsink of course) had a chip in it caused by the heat pipe plate. When you look at the M1710 setup you sometimes wonder just how durable it is. I mean, the socket doesn't has no load plate! What mysterious methods does it use to ensure the chip doesn't move around?

# 11 17-06-2007 , 08:54 PM
Dunno?? maybe PFM? But if its a motherboard, designed for a laptop, with a chip designed for a laptop, i would assume that the designers would have thought about the durability and made it suitable for its usage (otherwise i'm sure they would be in the brown stuff if its a design fault, that dosent make if fit for purpose of said nature) and the chips been abut for a bit and is used in lots of other systems (Mac's I think have the same method) and theres not been a big spate of problems it wouuld point to it being fine.

I think laptops migt have a tendancy to break as when people get used to carrying them form place to place, they tend to throw them about a bit and also dont give them decent protection when moving them about, i.e they will pay £1000 for a laptop and £20 on a bag for said laptop.