Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 17-02-2003 , 09:53 AM

RLA and after Effects

Hi all,

let me explain my problem first : I rendered a sequence of images with maya. In order to be able to apply some effects during compositing (DOF, fog...), I rendered the files in RLA including alpha mask and z-depth.

I checked the files in fcheck and everything (including z-depth) diplays properly but once I import the files in After Effects, the z-depth channel appears completely flat (grey).

Has anyone been confronted to that problem ? Any solution ?

Thanks in advance.
user added image

# 2 17-02-2003 , 02:55 PM
I don't think that the Z is even supported in After Effects yet....
At leant not in 5.5 pro bundle...

I've always had to render my Z out to another separate TGA sequence, and use that sequence as my Z, or a track-matte-depth-pass.

Try the "Yuya Depth Shader" on Highend for a GREAT way to get an antialiased Z pass....

Israel "Izzy" Long
Motion and Title Design for Broadcast-Film-DS
izzylong.com
# 3 17-02-2003 , 03:11 PM
thanks for your help. However I've been investigating a little bit on the subject and here is what I could find out.

First of all, After effects CAN handle the zbuffer in RLA files (through 3d channel extract, depth of field and other plugins that come in standard with 5.5 pro bundle version). BUT ! (yes there is a but) the only problem is that it only handles RLA files coming from 3ds max.

RLA file format is formerly from Alias Wavefront (done in 1991). However when 3ds max got released, Discreet put their nose into it and "enhanced" it (actually "modified" is the word) with gbuffers support. Eventually the old file format isn't recognized by common apps and they only support the new modified format which is incompatible with the old one except for the rgb and alpha channels which are still properly handled.

We're now writing a converter to convert the wavefront RLA to make them compatible discreet RLA.

If any of you is interested by this little tool. Just drop in a note and we'll publish it here !

Cheers:banana:

# 4 17-02-2003 , 03:24 PM
How do you actually use that depth shader, Izzy?

"Terminat Bora Diem, Terminal Auctor opus."
# 5 17-02-2003 , 06:54 PM
NITRO > Just select all of your "in-camera" objects, apply the shader like any other, and renderuser added image
Pretty simple.
I thought it was going to be confising as well when I first tried it, but it wasn'tuser added image

BOLEK> NO SHIT! That's cool about the RLA Z ! I didn't know that! ....too bad I only use Maya rla's... user added image

hehe... I know this is going to sound bad but...

I'm REALLY interested in your new TOOL man! hehe...

seriously tho, lemme know when you get it done!

Israel "Izzy" Long
izzylong.com
# 6 18-02-2003 , 09:07 AM
Sure ! I'll let you know as soon as we're done with it. It should be finished today. I just hope it'll be functionnal because we don't have the file specs for Discreet's RLA. I'll let you know anyway.
user added image

# 7 18-02-2003 , 02:18 PM
Subscriber
Hey Rage, you got a tutorial on compositing around here somewhere? I need some help. i got After Effects M4.0 Premiere and will soon have Ultimatte.

<html><font size=2>
<font color="blue">
And after calming me down with some orange slices and some fetal spooning,
E.T. revealed to me his singular purpose.

--TOOL, 10,000 Days---

</font></pre>
</html>
# 8 18-02-2003 , 04:20 PM
Yeah, it's in the free section I believe, but it's geared more towards theory, and beginners tho...

When the S3DW 2d sites start showing up, I'll be wanting to put a LOT more actual compositing tutorials there....If Kev lets meuser added image

Israel "Izzy" Long
izzylong.com
# 9 19-02-2003 , 05:40 PM
user added image

Howdy people !

Be happy ! We got the tool working (thanks to one of our coders Ben Campbell). We can convert 1991 Alias Wavefront RLA files to Discreet compatible RLA ! It's just an ugly command line tool but it's not a lot to pay ! I gives you access to all these nice 3d channels functions available in After Effects !!

Hey Rage, if you want we can give have it publish on the board... Under the plugins or a sub tools section.

Cheers !

# 10 19-02-2003 , 05:51 PM
Awesome, Bol! Man, I'd love to see a small layman's example on how you're using RLA files with channel functions in After Effects. Compositing is so intriguing.

"Terminat Bora Diem, Terminal Auctor opus."
# 11 19-02-2003 , 05:59 PM
Sure !

As soon as I'm finished with the current project, I'll spend a little bit of time laying out a small tutorial explaining the functionalities derivated from z-depth manipulation in After Effects or any other
compositing package.

Actually, having a proper RPF directly out of maya renderer would be awesome. I hope we could have something similar to the gbuffer from 3ds max RLA.

C ya.

I'll keep you updated.

# 12 19-02-2003 , 10:56 PM
DUDE! that tut, and a download would be GREAT MAN!

Thanks!

Can't wait!

Israel "Izzy" Long
izzylong.com