Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 26-02-2003 , 10:25 AM
Subscriber

Wing Tips

I am trying to model a wing tip correctly for my Fokker Wulf for texturing but I am unhappy with what I have done - it doesn't align very well.

The first picture attched shows the curves I have used and the resulting lofts... they look O.K. until rendered.

Can anyone tell me how best to achieve the result that I am after I have tried LOADS of different ways but seem to be banging my head against the wall.

Tickety boo and ta ta for a bit...
Gazzamataz
https://www.gazzamataz.com
# 2 26-02-2003 , 10:27 AM
Subscriber
Here's what it looks like rendered... not too good! I have set the tessalations to highest but the problem is with my curves aligning. I cannot quite get it right!

Gazzamataz
# 3 27-02-2003 , 09:36 AM
Subscriber
Hello? Is there anybody out there? This place seems awfully quite...

Gazzamataz
# 4 27-02-2003 , 04:14 PM
Subscriber
Oh yes yes I'll answer! user added image I just got up.

I used to think like you probably do now, but I have found out, that there is a pretty good method to accomplish this.

It involves some tweaking, but you'd be suprised to see how good/perfect the results gets, but simply adjusting a few cv's.

I'll try to explain without pics. It's pretty easy.

1) Start with your nurbs surface of the main wing, like the one I see in the pic above.

2) delete anything else, and insert a few isoparms on the outer edge of the wing.

3) The trick is to go into hull mode, and pick the outermost hull, thus selecting a bunch of cv's on the hull alone. Then press "r" to scale'em inwards. The point here is to scale these points soo close that it closes the gap. But, I alway pick the points individually and position these cv's on top of each other, to close the cap completely.

4) Repeat with the next hull cv's, but they are just to be scaled a little inwards. But after scaling them inn, you should axis-snap-move these points out to the outermost hull. More specific, right on top of this hull. The point is to create a good continuity around the edge of the wing.

This has to do with the following; Whenever two hull lines are forming a straight line you got perfect tangency. It's as easy as that imho.

By tweakin the cv's you can shape the whole wing tip to whatever shape you want. My "duck" seaplane wingtips was made this way.

I do not support Bush! Nor Saddam! Long live UN!
# 5 27-02-2003 , 05:35 PM
Subscriber

Undseth your a star!

Well I'll go to the foot of my stairs... I did that originally last autumn but I thought it was too easy! It's a technique I use in A:M which uses splines. I thought that there was a really slick way of doing it. Well there is, just how Undseth reminded me!

Thanks mate, I can get on and texture it now. Mind you I might be back to pick your brains on converting fings into polys...

Gazzamataz
# 6 27-02-2003 , 07:23 PM
Subscriber
Ask away anytime!

I do not support Bush! Nor Saddam! Long live UN!
# 7 27-02-2003 , 10:18 PM
Kevin

Originally posted by undseth
Oh yes yes I'll answer! user added image I just got up.

I used to think like you probably do now, but I have found out, that there is a pretty good method to accomplish this.

It involves some tweaking, but you'd be suprised to see how good/perfect the results gets, but simply adjusting a few cv's.

I'll try to explain without pics. It's pretty easy.

1) Start with your nurbs surface of the main wing, like the one I see in the pic above.

2) delete anything else, and insert a few isoparms on the outer edge of the wing.

3) The trick is to go into hull mode, and pick the outermost hull, thus selecting a bunch of cv's on the hull alone. Then press "r" to scale'em inwards. The point here is to scale these points soo close that it closes the gap. But, I alway pick the points individually and position these cv's on top of each other, to close the cap completely.

4) Repeat with the next hull cv's, but they are just to be scaled a little inwards. But after scaling them inn, you should axis-snap-move these points out to the outermost hull. More specific, right on top of this hull. The point is to create a good continuity around the edge of the wing.

This has to do with the following; Whenever two hull lines are forming a straight line you got perfect tangency. It's as easy as that imho.

By tweakin the cv's you can shape the whole wing tip to whatever shape you want. My "duck" seaplane wingtips was made this way.

any chance of explaining this with pictures user added image

# 8 27-02-2003 , 10:50 PM
Subscriber

Some pics

Well I think the pics explain it now user added image

Ask away if you guys want to pose a question.

# 9 01-03-2003 , 10:12 AM
Subscriber
Sorry gazzamataz that you thought that at all! I saw a few of your posts, but couldnt respond to them because I did not know the exact answers, SM is actually a very active place... and you get responces back to questions quite quickly most of the time user added image. Try to generalise your questions more to the pubic, like this one in the future user added image. Cya.

"I should call you sugar maple tree cause i'd totally tap that" haha

email - mattwettstein@gmail.com
# 10 03-03-2003 , 09:31 AM
Subscriber
)v(

Sorry if I seemed a little impatient, I was just eager to sort this little problem out and the one person I needed to talk to was Undseth and he was asleep!

I have had many a good reply from this forum and hopefully I have helped others out meself!

I don't think I will try and generalise my questions to the 'PUBIC' - I am not that kinky user added image but I will to the public user added image

Keep ya tongue out!

Gazzamataz