Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 05-02-2004 , 05:28 PM

Maya 5 PLE... Help me!!!

I have the book, Introducing Maya 5, 3D for Beginners, and have been working my into the lessons. The first main assignment is creating the planets of the Solar System -- later they'll be animated, but right now I have a problem... the book assignment takes me step-by-step through making Saturn's ring (step 1: Create>NURBS Primitives>Torus), which I have done successfully, but then it calls for changing the inner radius on the Ring of Saturn, by going into the Attribute Editor and clicking on the "makeNurbTorus1" tab. There IS no such tab that I can find!
Does anybody know if this is because it's not available in the PLE, and if so, how do I get around it? Not having that particular tab strikes me as odd, considering the book came with the PLE cd...

# 2 05-02-2004 , 05:43 PM
in the upper right corner of your screen, there should be about 3 options or so, the fist i believe is channel/layer editor, i think the last one is the attribute editor. I can't say for sure because im not at home right now and i only use maya to render for now, but ill check when i get home.

I Can't Understand What I'm Thinking
# 3 05-02-2004 , 05:51 PM
it will be in the channel editor as well (on the right hand side of the screen) in bold text. Click it and it should roll out and you can edit it there.

Alan

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 4 05-02-2004 , 06:53 PM
Subscriber
Right there....

Attached Thumbnails

That'll do donkey... that'll do...
# 5 05-02-2004 , 07:03 PM

Maya 5 PLE -- Help me!!! con't....

In my Maya Beginner's book, the diagram of the Attribute Editor window has five tabs under the top menu bar:
Ring; RingShape; makeNurbTorus1; initialShadingGroup; lambert1

The Attribute Editor window in the Maya 5 PLE has only four tabs:
Ring; RingShape; initialShadingGroup; lambert1

The Solar System assignment I'm working on requires me to use the 'makeNurbTorus1' tab, to access the tools I need in order to increase the inner radius of Saturn's ring... without that tab, what do I do?

# 6 05-02-2004 , 07:18 PM

Thanks, Huxley...

Hey, thank you for the diagram... unfortunately, there is no "Input" location on the PLE, under the "Shapes" at the bottom of the Channel Box... so I'm still stuck. Any further suggestions?

# 7 05-02-2004 , 07:20 PM
You've probarebly deleted the history in one way or another then, try avoiding that sort of thing until you really have to. Either recreate the object, or select all the vertex or edges of the inner ring and use the scaling tool to make it larger and smaller. user added image

# 8 05-02-2004 , 07:23 PM
I already posted an answer in the other thread you created, but please don't create more than 1 per question/subject.:bgreen:

# 9 06-02-2004 , 12:21 AM
Subscriber
its also posible that the keep history is set to off that would prevent it from makeing that tab also I belive.

# 10 06-02-2004 , 09:23 AM
Subscriber
the tab of which you speak located in the channel box is available in the PLE - I use it! I believe that Pony has probably hit the nail on the head there.

Take a glance at my <a href="https://forums.simplymaya.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9428"><b>Porsche 959</b></a> WIP