Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 27-03-2004 , 04:40 PM

Shark tutorial...

hi,

so my problem about the Shark tutorial is that i can't actually control the transparency of my image planes once i've mapped them with pictures with alfa-channel, just as was done in the tutorial. both diffuse and transparency buttons get locked, even though i load the picture into the diffuse slot only... the issue is only with the alfa-channel pictures...regular (rgb channel) pictures don't cause this problem (i can easily change transparency value)... it's not such a big issue for me but i'd be nice to be able to control planes' transparency with the locator via 'set driven key' option. so if anyone knows whats the problem please let me know. thanks.

# 2 27-03-2004 , 04:46 PM
The Maya Mountain
I don't think it is a problem, persay. When you load an image with an alpha channel for transparancy, it automatically gets mapped to the transparancy channel as well. If you don't want that, right click on the transparancy attribute and "Break connection". You're then able to do whatever you like with that attribute.

# 3 27-03-2004 , 05:08 PM
yeah, well, that's what i did earlier, but the problem is that when i 'break the connection' the alpha-channel doesn't work.. i mean, i see the whole picture not only the shark itself as it was supposed to be.. so there's no point in 'messing' with the alpha-channel in Photoshop in this case since it doesn't work anyway

hmm, just don't know what i did wrong..any clues?

Last edited by dirty; 27-03-2004 at 05:36 PM.