Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 23-07-2004 , 03:00 PM

Hi everyone.

This is my first post, and I'm new. It seems like there's a lot of friendly people on these boards. I'm a student at a university and started a course on 3d animation. This is something I want to get into.
We are learning Lightwave, however I've heard that Maya is much better, so this is the program I want to learn. I realize that the learning curve for Maya is greater than LightWave so I know this isn't going to be easy. I would like to know what book should I start out with?
I know this question most likely been asked a thousand times, but I would like to start learning asap.
Thanks user added image

P.S. Any other females out here?

# 2 23-07-2004 , 03:18 PM
Welcome to Sm... you will find there is a lot of great members as well as learning material on the forum.

As far as books go. Maya fundamentals is good for beginners.

Kurt

I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination, knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world. (Albert Einstein)

https://www.artstation.com/kurtb
# 3 23-07-2004 , 03:28 PM
Lifetime Member
Hi Debbie ..welcome to Simply Maya and the family user added image
If you go to https://www.mtmckinley.net/ and look under articles one of the our Moderators Mike has reviewed a couple of Maya Books and this might help you.
I have purchased " introducing Maya" and " Learning Maya Foundation" both are very helpful and equally of use to a beginner
but I will say that I found that I grew out of each book quite quickly because Maya is a lot of fun and I wanted to keeep going into the next exercise ..hehe.
Why not start by downloading the free tutorials here , which I recomend btw adn maybe purchase some points and do a vip tutorial or two. The Video tutorial for me was a revelation in learning Maya I found it so much more informative than a written tutorial but thats just me user added image
Hope this helps you and goodluck OH and don't be affraid to ask questions, the people here are really friendly and are always willing to help..cya around the forum hopefully.

J.S ....

2 x Modeling Challenge Winner
# 4 23-07-2004 , 05:24 PM
thanks! I will try those books. And since I plan to dig into my savings and buy Maya, I will likely be asking a lot of questions.(I hope my questions won't be too dumb)
Thanks again for the welcome Kurt and jsprogg.

# 5 23-07-2004 , 05:50 PM
Hi Debbie-

I'm also new, also a university student, also female...and also trying to do the self-taught route for Maya, as a matter of fact. I started out (and am still starting out) with an outdated Maya book (for Maya 3), which was good because it helped with the basics and was cheaper than an up-to-date book would be. But if you're already taking a Lightwave course, you might already know the basics I'm talking about.

well, good luck and glad to see ya here!
-katie

-katie

"a foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." - rwe
# 6 23-07-2004 , 06:46 PM
Subscriber
Welcome Debbie, ask any question you like and we will try to help you. I am also new and have found that posting a question here and you will usually get great advice.
Also, Maya is harder to learn than LW, but if you know the basic of LW, then you should pick up the Maya pretty fast.
Will be waiting for your first W.I.P images.

# 7 23-07-2004 , 07:20 PM
Kevin
welcome to sm Debbie user added image