Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 31 25-10-2008 , 09:01 AM
19 year Veteran

Very nice, what pencils are you using?

Cheers young lion! user added image This is not being done with paper and pencil. It's a digital sketch. The final image will be colored via color mask's.

# 32 25-10-2008 , 09:10 AM

Originally posted by THX1138
It's like that in the refference photo.

hmm.. well obviously you've looked at it a lot more than me, but it just seems as though the lower lids are lifting up a little too high. maybe its the reflection or just the lid needs a little more seperation or maybe it's just me.

Jay asked me if I could show my progress on a 2D piece over some debate about my 2D work. Had someone accuse me that my work was filtered, and not done by hand. You can read up on it in the 2D Art Concept/Show Your Stuff thread in the members lounge.

I chose Jessica Simpson because her movie "Employee of the month" has been on TV quite a bit. So I thought it would be cool to draw her. It's sad to see that Jay has not commented on it, since he's the one that talked me into showing my work.

i don't know - it just seems a little constricted to me to just copy a photo, which is of course fine for whatever reason i guess.

# 33 25-10-2008 , 09:54 AM
19 year Veteran
Every one has their preference, nothing wrong with that. I just like to get pretty accurate when I draw thats all. I guess 2D stuff doesn't go over well here.

About the eye, I will see what I can do. It doesn't bother me at all to change it. user added image

# 34 25-10-2008 , 10:02 AM
don't get me wrong - i like 2d stuff and i definitely think you have some mad skills THX1138. user added image

# 35 03-11-2008 , 05:59 PM
Looks really good.

I find sketching in photoshop to be somewhat tedious and restrictive.

If you have a chance download the trial version of autodesks SketchbookPro. It used to be an alias project. If you use a wacom I think you'll find it a more natural process. Then you can import back into photshop complete with layers if needed.

-Rick M

Last edited by ctbram; 03-11-2008 at 06:02 PM.
# 36 03-11-2008 , 09:57 PM
19 year Veteran
Cheers ctbram! user added image

I will look into sketchbook pro and see what it's got.

Anyway, sorry for the lack of updates. My power supply went out and I didn't have the cash to get a new one until yesterday. Cost me 110$. Been without internet for almost a week. I popped in once a few days ago from another PC but thats all I could do. Will have an update pretty soon.

# 37 03-11-2008 , 10:27 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore

It's sad to see that Jay has not commented on it, since he's the one that talked me into showing my work.

Thx, dude

I'm disappointed in the comment man, I cant comment all the time, I have had severe production work on mate in London. Ive just about had enough time to fart and see my daughter so cmon ease off chief.

Yes I did mention to post your work up and give a run thru on the work flow. I thought it would be a cool idea to quieten some of the 'doubting thomas's' that thought you were cheating on the image with a PS filter.

Anyways great job so far, I like it alot and as I said before it does remind of an ex.

I dont mind if its an exact copy of an image, after all what are we trying to replicate in 3d alot of the time - real world objects....no arguement there really

carry on
Jay

# 38 03-11-2008 , 10:59 PM
19 year Veteran
My apologies to you Jay, didn't know you were so busy. I wasn't trying to be offensive with the comment. I was only disappointed that you hadn't commented thats all. No worries at all mate. Sometimes we all get a little too involved in our work. I still have the highest respect for ya. user added image

Anyway, cheers for the comment! The hair on Jessica is one major head ache. I'm having to go back and redo parts. I will be glad when this piece is finished. This piece is just as hard as the cheetah I drew. I gotta quit doing pieces with alot of hair.

# 39 03-11-2008 , 11:04 PM
Subscriber
funny... i was wondering where this thread went and now we know, hardware problems :p

Anyway, cheers for the comment! The hair on Jessica is one major head ache. I'm having to go back and redo parts. I will be glad when this piece is finished. This piece is just as hard as the cheetah I drew. I gotta quit doing pieces with alot of hair.

at least she doesn't have visible facial hair in that photo :p

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 40 03-11-2008 , 11:11 PM
THX

no need for apologies mate, I just felt the need to rant LOL

keep up the good work

Jay

# 41 04-11-2008 , 07:02 PM

# 42 04-11-2008 , 07:33 PM

some inspiration. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEbophTGODA
the final image is over at cgchannel.com
Jay

That is simply AMAZING! How much time does a person need to spend on photoshop to achieve such results? ...

Keep it up THX user added image

Benny

When in doubt, delete history and freeze transformations.

My latest snake game
(Requires DirectX9 SDK and Framework)
# 43 04-11-2008 , 07:37 PM
Subscriber
from the artist:

The original drawing time was 8 hours! I know, too long but Autoscreen Recorder (software I used to record my screen) makes my computer very slow, therefore I can't draw too fast otherwise my computer would freeze and I would loose both my work progress and video footage. I was very concerned about that so I had to draw slowly. In fact, there's a part in the video where I'm drawing the face where you can tell I lost part of it.

impressive user added image

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 44 04-11-2008 , 08:22 PM
19 year Veteran

BennyK: Wrote

How much time does a person need to spend on photoshop to achieve such results? ...

Cheers BennyK user added image It depends on the person, and how much experience they have with the tools. If you don't know the tools, the work is going to suffer, no matter how well your able to draw.

Cheers for the link Jay!user added image That was really awesome. To be able to do that without having a reference is awesome. I bow to his greatness. Imagine what he can do with a reference.

Anyway, will have a update tomorrow, or Saturday at the latest. It's time to get this piece finished.

# 45 04-11-2008 , 08:51 PM
To draw like that I would say that the drawing skills are waaay more important than what tool you use. A good artist could probably draw a fine piece in Photoshop after some days of training while a Photoshop expert with no drawing skills would need years to accomplish the same.