Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 28-12-2003 , 08:20 PM
Subscriber

Problems with layered texture

I have a problem with my scene.
I have a terrain with applyed layered texture on it. The layered texture is consist of two color maps (one above the other) and one alpha map, which nicely blend this two color maps (that means that you have first color map, above it sedond color map and above it alpha map. Where the areaa on this alpha map is white, the first texture is seen, where the area is black, second texture is seen). Now, this all works fine, now the problem isthat I need to assigns bumb map to the first (the one belowe second map)color map, but you only apply an alpha map to color map in layered texture.
So, the question is, how to appy bumb map to first color map, but not to second, just the first one (when you use layered texture)? I really need to know this, so I will appriciate any help here.
Tnx!

# 2 28-12-2003 , 10:12 PM
Instead of using a layered shader, try using a blend node. Create your shaders for the two textures with bumps and all, then plug them into a blend node. Then use an alpha image to drive the blend between the two colors in the blend node.

"Terminat Bora Diem, Terminal Auctor opus."
# 3 28-12-2003 , 10:37 PM
Subscriber
Could you describe how do you plug 2 shader into blend mode? I'm a little stupid, you know. user added image))

oh, and tnx!

# 4 29-12-2003 , 01:12 AM
First off, I'd recommend hitting F1 and reading up on it in Maya's help files (rendering section) as it gives you enough info to get up and running.

The gist of it is that you create the two shaders that you want to layer on top of one another, then connect each one to a blendcolor node (mmb drag each shader onto the blend node's color1 and color 2 attributes -- whatever's plugged into color1 will be the topmost material). Then you connect the blend node to the color of another material's (blinn, lambert, etc) color attribute. If you look at the blend node's attributes you can adjust the blend between the two materials using the blender slider or use an alpha map to drive it like in the example I've attached. It's good for making ruinous walls, moss, and other things like that. The example is very simple but you can get as complex as you want (adding the final shader to a layered shader, etc. etc.) It's kinda like building with tinker toys...you just keep adding and building little pieces until the whole room is covered in nodes and connections. user added image On an ending note, in the example, the alpha map is also driving the bump of the final blinn.

Attached Images

Last edited by NitroLiq; 29-12-2003 at 01:17 AM.
# 5 29-12-2003 , 09:43 AM
Subscriber
Uf, tnx a lot man, I will try this out! As I understand it, it should work for me. Tnx again!

# 6 29-12-2003 , 03:13 PM
Subscriber
Uf, I'm goin' crazy here.
It basily works, but there is a problem. I have attached a zip maya file to show you the problem.
In this file I was just experimenting this thing, since I had problem in my scene.
So, what I did is:
I made too polygonal plane. I made a lambert shader, and assing color map (lets name it texture 1) and bumb map. Then I assigned this labert shader to the first plane.
Then, using bland mode, I made 2 additional shaders, but the same as the first shader is (with the same color and bumb map), and bland into one shader.Then I assigned this shader to the second plane, It work ok, but compared to the first plane, when I render the scene, texture on the second plane is is a bit darker on some areas then on the original picture. The alpha map is not important here (the one that is used for blending), since I have 2 excatly the same shader. (In the other scene,for example, I blended 2 defrent texture into one using alpha map, but still even thought the area on the alpha map is completly black, the final texture is still a bid darker then it should be. )

So, why are texture darker then they should be when I use blend tool? Is there some settings I havne't noticed, but I should?
Tnx!

Attached Files
File Type: rar sabina-poskus.rar (37.4 KB, 299 views)
# 7 30-12-2003 , 12:12 AM
I Couldn't open up your mb file properly since I'm using version 4.5 and you're on 5. I'm not sure what the problem you're having is. When you start building shading networks, you're going to find that you'll have to go back and fiddle with material attributes and whatnot. The best way to learn is to start tweaking and undoing. As kb likes to say, "Do a lot. Fail a lot. Learn a lot."

# 8 30-12-2003 , 12:22 AM
Subscriber
Well, I surely do fail a lot user added image
Anyhow, I solved the problem using layered bumb maps, and it worked ecatly as I wanted.
Tnx again for helping me out!