Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 27-10-2003 , 05:04 PM

Motionbuilder5... is useful enough?

Im interested on hering what you have to say on Kaydara´s Motionbuilder5...

General opinions. anybody has used it? and is worth the money just for an animation package?

# 2 29-10-2003 , 09:51 PM
3dworld came with a 1 year evaluation copy of motionbuilder 4 a little while ago (forget which issue) so I gave it a go. I can't give much opinion on version 5, but i'm sure it's not that different. There are a TON of free training video for download that make learning the software a breeze, except I can't get used to the damn camera system. Once you get your character in Motionbuilder, it's pretty easy to use. There are alot of cool features like floor contact, squash and stretch for those cartoony characters, and mocap clips. The general feeling I get from using it is, you don't have to worry about all the technical issues ( are the limbs going to deform correctly, stuff like that) so your free to really concentrate on the animation.

Another thing that really impressed me was the speed of it. In maya, I'd try to move my characters arm, and it would be very choppy. Using Motionbuilder on the same character, with full textures on, it all moved seamlessly.

If I was going to animating alot, and I had the money, I think I'd buy it, well, after my evaluation expired anyways.
Go try it out if you haven't already.
https://www.kaydara.com/products/moti...ename=download

________

- Jacob
# 3 30-10-2003 , 12:00 AM
Subscriber
I have the free evaluation version of 4, the same as Blinn, and it well worth having a play with imho - as Blinn mentioned the real time movement and things are really impressive and there are lots of very good video tutorials. I'm currently leaning animation basics in Maya but having played around in Motionbuilder a little I think that's where I am going to go for the next stage of things. I'd definitely recommend trying it out, it has some excellent features.

# 4 31-10-2003 , 05:28 PM
Subscriber
I love ver 5. it is like ver 4 in use except the new story line. You can blend different motions on different layers. for the $200.00 promo it kicks ass.....

Never Do Today What You Can Put Off Till Tomorrow..
My New Site MayaFx.com
# 5 01-11-2003 , 10:04 AM
Subscriber
Hi guys,

After reading this post i decided to download the trial version and give it a go.

one word: awesome!

Anymating is pretty easy (even for a dummie like me user added image)
Textured models move seamlessly through the scene

great program!

MSN: mizin_alex@hotmail.com
E-MAIL: mizina@alphalink.com.au