Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 23-08-2009 , 05:06 PM

Check Render RAM?

Hi Using Maya 8.5 on Precision 690, OS XP Pro x64, 8 gig RAM

I have just switched from XP x32 to XP x64 and added more RAM to my PC but don't think Maya is accessing it for rendering.

I know there is somewhere you can see how much RAM Maya's Mental ray render uses and also you can customize this but I don't know how to locate it.

Anyone?

Thanks, T

# 2 24-08-2009 , 07:49 AM
Subscriber
haven't used xp64bit (heard it doesn't play well with maya) but is there a folder program files and program files (x86) that you can install to?
if there is make sure you install to program files

i think you can change the limit of memory you assign to a render in the render options
render > render current frame > []
and
render > batch render > []
in the box titled Memory

is that what you're looking for?
also, when i render i notice the ram doesn't shoot up but the processor speed does, perhaps your renders aren't memory hungry as you expect? *shrug*

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 3 24-08-2009 , 03:11 PM
Hi. Well, I had the same scene on a computer with 4 gigs of RAM (a Mac) and Mental ray accessed it fine and the renders were faster and could handle the full scene without crashing, so I figure RAM must be relevent.

Thanks for the info on therender memeory settings.

I checked those and sure enough Mental ray is only using 1.2 gigs of RAM even though there's 8 available. when I told it to calculate the RAM it didn't go up. Any idea why?

T

# 4 24-08-2009 , 06:46 PM
EduSciVis-er
Just an idea, but did you install the 32-bit or 64-bit version of Maya?

I think that's what Chirone was getting at with the program files??

# 5 24-08-2009 , 09:42 PM
Hi. Right, the Maya 64-bit is the one I installed. I should add that since my earlier post, I went in to render cuurent frame options and manually set the memory limit to 6144 (6 gigs RAM) and rendered a dense scene and it worked. Took 69 minutes, but rendered fine.

I still don't know why Maya couldn't calculate the available RAM on it's own, but I am still investigating. At least now it's rendering with the available RAM.

Thanks to both of you.

T